New Tank Portrait

ReefLady

Staff member
I took these in the home of a local reefer a couple weeks ago.

3grfrog9898web.jpg

3grntop0209web.jpg

3lamarck9937web.jpg

My new favorite mandarin shot... lucky timing.
3mandside9839web.jpg

3neondb9983CROPweb.jpg

Trying to get artistic with the 'shrooms...
3SHRMFIELD9866web.jpg

3yellows9884web.jpg

Finally, got some great shots of his GSM clown hosting in its BTA. It got really mad. :)

3clown0027crop2web-med.jpg

There were about 45 keepers in all, out of about 450 exposures. That's about par.

Hope you enjoyed

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Almost forgot one... the flash put off a green cast in the water. On this one, I simply didn't try to fix it because I really liked the effect.

3diminutive9900web.jpg

Tosh_Auer

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I cant believe my eyes. I want my tank to turn out that beautiful. Im not going to hold my breath though. Awsome tank and awsome shots. Especially of the mandarin.

Tosh

drdrew

wow!
each one better than the last! love the red shroom shot...love the mandarin shot, great detail on the face!, love the clown shot and the green shot.

bastard. now i've got to go take more pics!

onghm

Wow Travis,

Your photos never fail to inspire me.

Even a simple yellow polyps can become a work of art.

Stunning!

TomV

Nice Photos, Travis! What kind of camera are you using? Did you have to get a second mortgage to buy it? :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks all.

That’s a Lamarck’s angel, and I love them as well.

These were shot with the Canon 10D, 100mm macro lens, 28-135IS lens, 420EX flash unit, 500D close-up diopter and probably an extension tube here and there.

I used the flash off-camera a bit, but this guy’s fish were very fickle, so moving the tripod with the flash unit (connected by a very small cord) became cumbersome. So I stuck it on the hotshoe, sacrificing a few pics in the process due to the reflection but most came out fine.

This was my most hectic shoot ever I’d say, because the fish were so jittery I was constantly changing equipment on the fly. It would seem every time I set up a nice tripod coral macro, some fish would start doing something really cool. Murphy’s Law, I guess, but all turned out well. I’ll try to add some more this evening.

Thanks again for the kudos, been too long since I’ve shared and I’m glad to see them being enjoyed.

T

drdrew

do you use the 500D on the 28-135? or on the macro?

i am just about to get the 70-200 f/4 L, and i know the 500D can go on that puppy....as well as a 1.4 extension.

also looking at flashes...420 or 550....
then i need to look at getting an extra job as well!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
When you put your flash on the hotshoe, are you bouncing it, or shooting it straight on? Heck will bouncing even work when shooting through glass?

I'd have an external flash by now, if the moronic ebayers would learn it's stupid to pay 65 dollars for aomething used when you can buy it new for 70.

ReefLady

Staff member
Originally posted by drdrew
do you use the 500D on the 28-135? or on the macro?

On both. I got a 72mm 500D and a 58-72mm step-up ring so it works on the 100 macro as well.

You probably already know this, but when you get the 500D get the size to fit the largest lens opening you have/plan to have, then use step-up rings for each smaller lens.

i am just about to get the 70-200 f/4 L, and i know the 500D can go on that puppy....as well as a 1.4 extension.

I hate you. :p That lens is #1 on my list, should serve you very well with the 500D. I can tell you've been reading up at Fredmiranda, same conclusions as me- 70-200/4L + 1.4x and 500D = one killer combo.

also looking at flashes...420 or 550....
then i need to look at getting an extra job as well!

I would get the 550EX, the 420 does a great job but when shooting through glass and water, you need all the power you can get. I feel your pain about the expense, but good equipment A)helps you learn and B) makes all the difference when you've got the skill to take advantage of it IMO.

Originally posted by reefrunner
When you put your flash on the hotshoe, are you bouncing it, or shooting it straight on? Heck will bouncing even work when shooting through glass?

Straight on. The 420EX has a vertical swivel, even when all the way down it's angled up a bit. That really helps. I've played with bounce and diffusers, and they will work, but I have yet to get to a point where I feel comfortable trying to do it when I'm being paid to take the photographs. I practice at home and use only what I'm most comfortable with on a job, for obvious reasons. There's still much to learn for me, much of it surrounding the proper techniques of flash photography.

T

edit: here's a top-down I dig

3gobytopgr2-0230web.jpg

Caterham

Travis those shots are amazing. You are incredibly talented and I thank you for sharing these photographs with us. :snshne:

drdrew

travis. my birthday is coming up and i combined it with fathers day to get the 70-200f/4. the rest of the stuff will have to be on the sly...!