New tank or week vacation?

Go on vacation or get a bigger tank?

• Total voters

Newjack

yeah its not really an option of both its either a big vacation or a big tank. I got all the space i need for any size tank. I would really like to go diving in Hawaii but my son is too young for that. I am also thinking about a cruise... I am starting to lean towards a vacation cause its the only time I will have paid time off long enough to go on a good vacation and i can always start saving up for the tank afterwards.. thoughts?

bullet

In the end it is ultimately up to you but if you go with the new tank and teach your son how to take care of and feed the fish it will be a lifetime learning tool as he gets older. Yes it is nice to go on vacation and get away but once you are back home you still have the same issues to contend with at work and at home, unless you are using the vacation to propose to the GF I would just take and extended weekend and drive up to Charleston or better yet the mountains IE Maggie Valley or something like that

Snid

Take advantage of websites like Expedia.com For fun, I was looking to see how much a trip to Dubai would cost, and I was finding packages under $5K for 2 including Flight + Hotel. Surely there can be something half that cost, considering Dubai is one of the richest places on the Earth. One of my favorite vacations of all time for myself that barely cost anything was a trip to the Outer Banks with my wife. We were able to get a condo on the beach and relax. I've also done the Hawaii thing twice (Maui specifically), which did end up costing plenty, but with Hawaii yo can cut costs by not buying into all the tourist events like (horseback riding, helicopter rides, etc.), and just swim in the ocean, relax on the beach, and drive around the island. If you do Hawaii, get some Ono to eat. Best fish ever!

Newjack

ok i know its all up to me and i did some estimates. I can get a cabin for a week in Chattanooga mountains for $2,500. that's with gas food reservation, house sitter, entertainment and spending money. We all agree that we like that idea but its summer time and its not as good in the summer. The second vacation idea is to go to my time share in Texas. This will run about $1,500 with gas, house sitter, entertainment, food, ect... But it will be hotter than hell. :whip: The third idea is to go to Syracuse New York. I have family there that would die for us to stay in the condo, food will be free while were there so all the expense will be is entertainment, gas, spending money and house sitter. That will run about $1,000. The bad thing about that is my GF like her privacy so staying in someone else's house will be a little hard to have "fun" :smirk: The last option is to stay home and get the tank i want and spend some quality time with family, but GF will be a little disappointed and my son now likes the idea of going to Texas to be a cowboy like Woody from Toy Story. Although he understands that that means smaller tank and really really hot out.

Then to add I could go scuba diving in Hawaii with my GF for a week witch would make us both really happy and my son stays at his friends witch hes ok with but does not prefer it and just get the dream tank later.

Steve L

You could go a cooler route. Lake Tahoe in California. Beautiful scenery with great fishing. Los Angeles with Disneyland, Universal Studios and everything else LA has to offer. I live in the San Francisco area and it's always a favorite destination. The weather this time of year is perfect. Tour Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, go whale watching, fishing, or just site seeing. I live about 40 minutes north of the Golden Gate bridge and we still go to the city a couple times a year to act like tourists.

Snelly40

I'm on lunch so I didn't read everyones comments... but NEW TANK!!!! a vacation can be relaxing, but it can be stressful then you come back just as tired as when you left... a new tank is an adventure that lasts much longer than a week, and if you're like me, setting up a new tank is a form of relaxation and fun, even though arduous.

I'd go with a 90 or 120.. so many options and that size isn't that much more expensive overall than a 50or 60 but it offers so many more possibilities for fish and rocks and ways to play with it!!!!

Newjack

ok i know its been a while since i been on here cause work is booming and i been working day and night 7 days a week. We are so short handed on experienced electricians its literally killing us. We been working so hard and long, people are forgetting to be safe, working on live circuits that 4 people are in the hospital and I got hit with 600V AC and shot across the hall because someone thought it would be a good idea to flip breakers on and off to find there circuit.... idoits.... Anyways i talked to the boss man and hes going to give me a bonus when this job that my crew is one, is done. So that's another 3 grand in my pocket.. CASH! no taxes... So the house vote is to spend 3k on vacation and at the most 5k on tank.. All is happy and satisfied.. thoughts?

Also if anyone knows anyone in north GA that is looking for work and has at least 1 year in commercial or industrial electric, has there proper tools, and is ready to work next day let me know! Its good money and we are always working. We got free million dolor life insurance (due to danger of the work) cheap heath, 401k, dental, chiropractic, paid vacation, bonus's and all the other bells and whistles. All you got to do is show up at the office every morning at 6am and we provide transport to job site.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm glad you had time to check in, update & that you are OK!
What really sounds AWESOME in getting to spend 5K ON A NEW TANK :woohoo:
Now, just STAY SAFE, have a FUN vacation & save some dough for that new tank!
It's almost like it's "ours" cause I know you will share it here ;)

Newjack

lol thanks! oh and i will be sharing it on here but now i just need to come up with some ideas on what to get and work out a build plan.

1clovergirl

I say new tank. I am new to saltwater and plan on getting a RSM c250 for seahorses. All I can say is that all the research and books I have being doing, all the internet searches have brought me so much excitement and happiness in knowing what Im about to do, to me, it is my break, vacation, from my married-working-raising three kids-life. GET THE TANK! lol

Iamonlyme

I say new tank fully diy since your son wants one too great father son build and done your way there is a lot you can create with that much money and I would start with a 75 dt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pablomay28

So my annually paid vacation is coming up and i have been having my company hold all my over time for it. Got about 5 grand coming to me from job.

I want to get a bigger tank, I just have the 8gal nano but then im in a real need of a good vacation.

Would you buy a new setup or go on a long waited and deserved vacation?

Ok to add lets do this!

If you vote new tank, What size and type do you recommend for the budget.

If you say vacation. Where should i go?

Also note. My GF wants to go on vacation but my son wants to have a bigger tank. He is 5.

I recommend both. Get a RSM250 and spend the rest on a vacation look for some specials.

Diverjohn

For me it depends. Some days new tank other days vacation. My wife says vacation, so that's what happens. However, we go diving so I usually come back with more ideas for the tanks. Of course I usually find some new critters or coral that I would like to have.

Oxylebius

NewJack needs to check in again, since he decided to have both.... when is that vaca happening, where is he going, and when is the new tank purchase happening?