New tank in the works...ideas please

Mebigloser

Been trying to figure out what tank to purchase, wanted a 150, but was having a hard time to find a place for it. I settle for a 56 gallon column this time around (30X18X24).

Might be looking to move into a bigger house this year, so that had alot to do with the tank purchased.

I have my ideas on how to set this baby up, but looking for some of the guru's out there to give me all the ideas possible on how they would set this tank up and all the ideas possible.

I will be building a canopy that will house metal lighting along with VHO.

Other than that....please give me your ideas....as if it was yours and you were going to setup a reef only tank...mainly hard corals.....and the such... ideas on filteration, lighting, substrate, ect ect.

After seeing Playa's Tank (still sick to my stomach with envy)...This is my goal for this tank.

Thanks MBL

P.S. This is not the final placement of this tank.

ReefLady

Staff member
Other than that....please give me your ideas....as if it was yours and you were going to setup a reef only tank...mainly hard corals.....and the such... ideas on filteration, lighting, substrate, ect ect.

Off the top of my head -- sump with best skimmer you can afford, possibly a ca reactor.

Closed loop system for great circulation, bare bottom.

I'd put a considerable amount of LR in the sump, and aquascape to your heart's content in the display - avoid the "wall of rock" look (JMO).

Good luck!!

jks1

was that BB you said Teri?..... I definately second the skimmer and CL. I think you are on the edge of efficiently using 2 part additives in this size tank. I would consider a reactor in the long run, but you could get away w/o one in the meanwhile.

Might want to run a filter sock every once in a while, and if you have a cannister to run carbon a few times a month that would be great too.

If you are going BB, I would definately plan a spraybar blowing across the bottom to keep detritus in suspension..

HTH

wooddood

the wood dude
ron im a little confused here,is that a pic of your present tank? or a pic of your tank when you first got it? ok on to the new tank, personally i would'nt go with a colum style tank to confineing in my opinion although i have seen some nice looking one's so everybody dont get me wrong. if it were me i would go with a 120 like mine 48 x 24 x 24 it's not too big and not too small it's just right, kinda like the three bears lol. it's just the right size you have the depth and the width to work with. like teri said i would go bare bottom/sump/refugium/large return pump on a scwd/and 2 scwd's on 2 closed loop's/2 250 watt metal halides supplemented with pc's but i know your a vho guy so use vho's as supplementation to the halides because you already have them. ron we need to get together before you decide on the new tank and talk about it. you can come and see mine in person and then make up your mind, plus i really would like to see yours now. also did you frag the colt yet? i know t-devil wants a frag and i told i would pick it up for him. better yet i'll pm you my # and all 3 of us will get together.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Teri is going to have a nice BB I bet! Are there plans in the works for one Teri?;)

I agree with the BB. Also the closed loop for sure. What you want is great waterflow to rid your tank of detritus before it has a chance to rot and create phosphates or other water quality issues in your tank.:)