New sw tank

sarah

Hi, after everyones help on my feather duster problem ive decided to set up another SW/Fish/LR tank and the arrow crab will be moved in here bcause i do not to get rid of him.
The new tank is a 120ltr [was a trop tank] just needs a clean up new filter allready got a skimmer.

Could any advise on what lighting i will need most aprecated.
Ill keep u updated and picys as well.

Thanks again for everyones help. Got alot to do today with the tank its going in the bedroom and other half does not no yet He will find out tonight when he gets home from work.

SARAH xxxx:D :) ;)

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
120 liters is about 30 gallons.
Sarah what are your plans besides the arrow crab? For a reef you can go metal halide, but power compact would probably do you best. I use 2 55 watt power compacts over my 29 gallon. They provide enough light for most soft & LPS corals.

mwrager

Sarah, Just one ? Have you used copper to treat ICK in your FW tank? Before you start you may want to check for copper it you plan on having any invert or coral in there.

sarah

Hi, never used any copper based products in my FW tank.

Sorry about the picture it turned out blurry there is fish in there somewhere.

Thanks Sarah xxx

Craig Manoukian

Even though you are planning a FOWLR I strongly suggest you get two 55 watt PC ballasts with 10,000k bulbs. The reason is two fold:

1. The 10,000k lighting is crisp and white, very esthetically pleasing.

2. You will be able to add soft lps corals which will really make your fish feel at home.

This is exactly the progression I made on my FOWLR and by getting the 55 watt ballasts, all I had to do was upgrade the bulbs and add some polyps and xenias!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

sarah

Hi everyone, Question, i've stripped the tank out now what is the best thing to wash everything in [tank,internal filter,got new mediumand heater]

Thanks alot everyone Sarah xxx:(

BoomerD

Get a NEW one of those sponge/scotch-brite pads like youy use for washing dishes. You can get them for glass or acrylic. They work very well to remove algae & grunge. Use ONLY water to clean with. If you have severe hard water deposits in the tank, you can use vinegar to help remove it, but must be rinsed well. It's a mild acid (acetic acid) and while it won't poison the tank if you leave some in there, it will tend to reduce your pH a bit until it's all neutralized. I use vinegar for a lot of my cleaning tasks. Pumps and misc. hardware get soaked in a solution of 1 qt. vinegar to 4 or 5 gallons of water.

sarah

Hi everyone, decide in sted of useing my 30gallon tank i am going out now to buy a 40 gallon. Hopefully ill have some picys later. Thanks for your help

SARAH XXX
:D
This should be better then the 30 gallon

Gina

RS STAFF
:LOL: Sounds like something I would do! Make sure the 40 is as big as you want....Just when you get it all set up..you wish you would of gotten bigger!! I got a 46g and now wish I had gone with a least a 55g.

Only reason we didn't is because right now we live in a mobile home and I didn't want the tank to be an under the trailer tank if you know what i mean?! LOL

openbrain

Gina,
Our first home was a mobile home (double wide) and we had a 125g in there with no problems. You'd be surprised at how strong the flooring is in a mobile home. All I did was watch the floor for sagging in case I had to put more blocks under the floor where the tank was. I never had to do anything at all, I guess whoever setup the home must have done a good job bracing the floor already.

sarah

Got the tank, can not set it up till tomorrow as shop had not got any live sand, i am going to take some sand out of my other tank as well, and at the weekend going to get the live rock.

Sarah xxx :) :D :p

Gina

RS STAFF
Good idea on taking sand from your other tank as well. I would also probably take some pieces of rock from your existing tank also.

openbrain and wood,
This home is 30 years old! I'm still thinking about it though. I really would like to have a bigger tank!