New SW in North Bethesda

Charlie97L

hey all, i just joined today... i've been planning on setting up a teeny reef aquarium for a while... i started to set up the tank this past weekend, but think i made a few mistakes and may have to start over...

i have a 30 gal oceanic hex, fluval 304 canister filter, CoraLife 12" PC Light, 150 watt heater, and I used crushed coral in the bottom.

I did use non-RO water, i used water conditioner, but i've been reading it's just better to do RO water to start with... so I may empty her out and start over. any suggestions?

YAY for this forum! -Charles :)

Charlie97L

Well, i was going for 2 clowns, probably different types... and some live rock, 1 or 2 corals, and maybe 1 or 2 snails or other tank cleaner.

:)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nice size for a starter! I used to have a 30 gal myself~ I would'nt empty it since it is already filled will salt water. Plan on doing weekly water changes and vacuuming out the crushed coral thoroughly each time since it traps diterus quickly... I prefer fine sand or even a barebottom. :) To head off the inevitable algae bloom, start using a phosphate absorbant media from the start and replace it often. Also keep the nitrAtes below 10ppm (they fuel the algae also).

Charlie97L

is it too late to change out the substrate? i mean, what are the benefits of coral over sand? is sand easier to maintain?

Thanks!

Yeah, I like the size... but my gf is bugging me to get a bigger tank, but I don't really have anywhere to put it. :) Maybe later.