New sump/overflow Q's

ctiq21

Hi,

I just setup my new overflow and sump and had a question:

The tube from my overflow is too long. It actually is long enough to touch the ground, do a loop and then go up about a foot where it drains into my sump. Is this loop bad? Would it be better to have a straight shot into the sump. In line with this, I do assume I should keep my Mag 7 return pump tube as short as possible.

Curtswearing

Welcome to Reef Santuary!!!

I'm guessing you are talking about flexible tubing. If so, thats what someone here does. I think it's Ivyvine1.

BoomerD

several people use a "P" trap in the feed line to the sump to help reduce the gurgling from the overflow. seems to work. The loop in the tubing would accomplish much the same thing, but beware to the tubing diameter tightening/squeezing down as it makes the loop.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Ah an Amiracle overflow, much better than my &^#$%(@ CPR. If I were you I would cut it to fit. It looks like most people cut it close to, but not touching the water level. But I thought that was too loud, and yours would be especially so with a mag 7. So I replaced it all with PVC. Something I am very familiar with, being a former landscaper. After several days of fiddling I found something that worked for me and was nice and quiet. I can send pic if you are interested.

Pro_builder

I would cut it off just under the water line, so you don't hear a splashing sound as the water hits the sump.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Originally posted by Pro_builder
I would cut it off just under the water line, so you don't hear a splashing sound as the water hits the sump.

Maybe thats what I did wrong? There is alot to learn from Pro Builder.