New Sump --Drill or use overflow?

Poonaka

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

While I really want to have the tank drilled, I also agree that it is a bit late in the game for that and besides being a huge hassle there is risk involved taking everything out of the tank and putting it back again.

I think I will have to go the overflow route, but I'm assuming that is a big step up from just running a canister filter/skimmer as I'm doing thus far. When I upgrade to a large tank someday it will without a doubt be a drilled one.

Uslanja, thanks for the recommendation on the Eshopps. I'll have a look at that.

I should be able to have this new sump installed within the next 2 weeks if all goes to plan. I really can't wait as it will also provide me with the space I need up top to get new T5's as well (either 4x39 or add 3 more 39's to the 3 I have, not sure yet).

Personally I would drill the tank. I have a 90g that I used an external overflow on it and found it to be a huge pain. If you ever have algae problems, you'll be cleaning that thing non stop. They are a huge pain to clean too.

I started without sump like you and decided to take the "easy" route by installing an external overflow when I added my sump. I regret that decision. So after a year I took everything out of the tank, moved everyone to some garbage cans while the work was done. It really wasn't that much work and I've been extremely happy with the drilled tank since then. I even took time to spray paint the back of the tank. It looks a million times better now.

Now I just need to fix my algae problem...

seafansar

I say drill it! One guy in my old reef club drilled his tank while it was full with no problems. He just drained it a little and kept a towel in it to keep anything from falling into the tank.
Reason I hate over flow boxes is cause my old one used to lose it's siphon all the time and once when I went away for the weekend I came home to a mess. The back of the overflow box literally fell off! And the siphon kept going dumping water all over my floor. I was soooo mad! I've had drilled tanks ever since.
Don't know if you could get it where you live, but glass-holes.com has some really nice overflows you can install.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I say move the top level into rubbermaids and be prepared if something would go wrong and drill it, it's really simple and as long as you go straight in and let the bit do the work there is little chance of cracking the tank.

Poonaka

I say drill it! One guy in my old reef club drilled his tank while it was full with no problems. He just drained it a little and kept a towel in it to keep anything from falling into the tank.
Reason I hate over flow boxes is cause my old one used to lose it's siphon all the time and once when I went away for the weekend I came home to a mess. The back of the overflow box literally fell off! And the siphon kept going dumping water all over my floor. I was soooo mad! I've had drilled tanks ever since.
Don't know if you could get it where you live, but glass-holes.com has some really nice overflows you can install.

+1 for glass-holes.com

Jetbkk

The sump is now installed! Sorry to disappoint the pro-drillers, I really do understand that is the best way but in my current situation I had to go with a Reef Octopus overflow. So far it is working well and I'm especially happy with the new massive skimmer upgrade! I'll post some photos later on a tank thread hopefully.

Next project, is sorting out some MH lights (I think I'll lose the T5's).

DBrinson

I honestly waited until you had an overflow already for unnecessary emphasis.

Heh heh.

I know you likely won't take my advice, and that's OK, should you ever have your siphon malfunction enough times to warrant a special report by Barbara Walters into "REEF RAGE" I hope you return to this thread and find this post helpful.

Now, you have an overflow, great! You've bought time to tinker with a better solution. :D

When you have time, go get your hands on a corner overflow for your tank.

The villagers chanted, "Don't Drill yet"

Some day when you have the hood off, may as well position it in the corner of your tank. Scoot a bit of rock. You probably do this stuff anyways.

Then once you get comfortable with it in the tank, start to glue it in with silicone, "when you have time".

Once you have it glued with silicone, just drop a little tube in there and siphon out the 2 gallons inside the overflow and see if it holds. Patch leaks when you feel like it, no hurry.

One day when you have $50 to burn and no fire, order yourself a 1" bulkhead and a 1 3/4" diamond drill bit. Set them up on a shelf, will make a great conversation piece.

If you're especially skittish, go buy one of these: Hole Saw Guide

Stick it on the underside of your tank, just beneath the now empty overflow box. Kinda where a hole might go.

One day, look at your tank with the empty overflow in the corner and say to yourself, "May as well drill a hole in the bottom of that. What do I have to lose?"

Then we shall form a peer pressure posse to coerce you into giving it a whirl.

The villagers rejoice!

:crowd:

Disclaimer: This post is shamlessly designed to trick you into building your own drilled overflow for the first time.

Poonaka

I honestly waited until you had an overflow already for unnecessary emphasis.

Heh heh.

I know you likely won't take my advice, and that's OK, should you ever have your siphon malfunction enough times to warrant a special report by Barbara Walters into "REEF RAGE" I hope you return to this thread and find this post helpful.

Now, you have an overflow, great! You've bought time to tinker with a better solution. :D

When you have time, go get your hands on a corner overflow for your tank.

Some day when you have the hood off, may as well position it in the corner of your tank. Scoot a bit of rock. You probably do this stuff anyways.

Then once you get comfortable with it in the tank, start to glue it in with silicone, "when you have time".

Once you have it glued with silicone, just drop a little tube in there and siphon out the 2 gallons inside the overflow and see if it holds. Patch leaks when you feel like it, no hurry.

One day when you have $50 to burn and no fire, order yourself a 1" bulkhead and a 1 3/4" diamond drill bit. Set them up on a shelf, will make a great conversation piece.

If you're especially skittish, go buy one of these: Hole Saw Guide

Stick it on the underside of your tank, just beneath the now empty overflow box. Kinda where a hole might go.

One day, look at your tank with the empty overflow in the corner and say to yourself, "May as well drill a hole in the bottom of that. What do I have to lose?"

Then we shall form a peer pressure posse to coerce you into giving it a whirl.

The villagers rejoice!

:crowd:

Disclaimer: This post is shamlessly designed to trick you into building your own drilled overflow for the first time.

The villagers chanted, "Make sure you don't have tempered glass on the bottom!"

:D

Jetbkk

DBrinson: point taken. I would never, ever, get another tank and not drill it. But for now, this is the route I had to go. It is working right now and if it fails, I'll make sure you know so you can gloat over it..

seafansar

lol. I'm sure it will be fine. I lied and I have used overflow boxes since my one big mishap. They do work fine (usually). I just like drilled overflows better. Plus when you drill a tank yourself you feel so good about it afterwards! I was so proud when I did. lol.