New stand idea

Thanks for all of the good input i will now go back and redesign it once again. That is why I like RS. I am glad that u guys and gals are here to keep me on the straight and narrow and not let me make to many mistakes.

Duston

lionkeeper

This is some more Ideas that I used on my 125 stand. I finished it about 1 year ago and I think I got it the way I wanted it. The main thing was not to rush it. I’m not an expert but I sent a lot of time on mine. I hope this will help. I have had a salt tank or 5 for 25 years and I learn new things all the time. When I built my stand I made it 40" tall so I had plenty of room down under for skimmer. I made the stand just a little bigger than the tank (½”) so the outside of the tank sits on the top of the 2x4s and it made it easier to use my reef ready pluming. The feed throws are hard to put on with a solid wood top on the stand. As for the bottom I coated it with truck bed liner coating from auto parts store so it holds water. My pumps are mounted on adjustable shelves mounted on the back witch mad it easy when it came to power strips and timer, 6” shelves. I have my tank is about 10”s from the wall for back entry or work from the back. I’m working on the pics. Sorry so long winded. Good luck and have fun with it.

Scott

Lionkeeper: Thanks for the input. I have definetly learned to be patient and go slow. I have had my for tank up and running now for about a month and i am hooked. I have resisted the urge to do anything more to it until it has had a month or two more to mature. So do u have any lionfish? I would guess so by ur screen name but u never know.

lionkeeper

I have had about 7 but right now I do not have a lionfish. I’m not sure if I will get one any time soon. The reef I have now I am watching what I put in (very picky) I’m new on here, I have pics of my stand but not sure how to put them on.

Well here is my drawing of my new stand made from the ideas of everyone who has gave me input on here.

fishtankstand-2.jpg

The easiest way to put pics on here is to go to photobucket and copy your photo's there and then just copy the (IMG) code into the post and then wheny u submit the post the pics will show.

lionkeeper

It looks great, very close to the one I made. I could park a car on my stand. You are on the right path. The skin on my stand covers the trim on the tank an same on the canopy. what kind of sump and fuge are you going to use/

Wel i have got a 40 gallon breeder tank that i am planning for the sump and then what ever i can fit in there for a fuge. Do u think that that will be to small of a sump for the size tank i will have?

lionkeeper

I use a 30 long and a 20 refuge. The 40 long will not fit in the back or front are you putting side doors on the stand?

Ya i am thinking about putting a door on the right side of the stand so i can get the sump in there. I guess i might have to rethink my plans for a sump and fuge. If u could post some pics of your set up that would be great. if u need a little better instructions on how to use photobucket just pm me.

Duston

Octoman

Your 40 breeder may be adequate, it all depends on what you want to do with it. I used a 55 sump for my 55 tank, I like having a nice big sump with plenty of room. I also made one side of the stand into a door so it's easy to get the sump in and out.

You can see the whole stand construction here...

55 Construction

Thanks Octoman for that link to the build of your stand. That really helps me in how i want to design my stand. I love the way your tank has turned out. I can just hope that mine turns out half that nice. Thanks again for the info.

Duston

TonyD

Mine is pretty similar.

stand08.jpg

stand15.jpg

I need to add decking to the places where i cut out for the overflows so the tank edge has somethign to rest on there. It would be sealed up and ready to be skinned Wednesday.