New skimmer

what are your thoughts on this skimmer? Terminator...

http://www.danddmarine.com/page0004.html

New skimmer

img00020.jpg

BoomerD

It looks hecka complicated, maybe more so than necessary, but IME, most of D&D's stuff worked pretty well. I had one of their Titan skimmers a few years ago that was pretty decent for a hang on.

Here is a responce from D&D

HI ! I am the head designer with D & D Marine. I hope I can answer all of your questions about our new skimmer. First we have been producing skimmers for over twenty years now, a very large part of our market has been in Europe. Our angular concentrator has always been part of our design, the way it works is this.
As a skimmer injects air into the reaction chamber and layer of stabilized foam is created. As this layer develops the air below it can no longer vent out the top of the skimmer, as this happens the air must still escape so it lifts the foam and pushes it out ahead of itself.
NOW, the details, Instead of using the old "upside down funnel design we use an angle. The reason is this, with the upside down funnel the only way to control how wet or dry the foam is is proximity to the overflow point at the top of the neck. With our angular concentrato top by raising or lowering the water level you actually change the surface area of the foam. The best way I can explain the advantage of this is to talk about cooking a pan cake. My goal is to cook a pan cake that I can put my fist under the center of and lift. If I cook one the size of a trash can lid and one the size of a lunch plate, I will have to cook the bigger heavier one much drier in order not to just punch my fist through it. The same is the case in changing the surface area of the foam. The larger the surface area the drier it must be before it can be lifted. In the reverse if we raise the water level and reduce the surface area we can get rapid (but wetter ) production. BTW> yep the top of the angle is sealed.
Sorry if my typing leaves a bit to be desired. I hope this helps
Oh, with regards to cleaning, with the top removed you can put your entire hand inside for cleaning. The entire core is also removeable. We have had units out in stores running on demo for two weeks and been able to clean them well enough to use for advertising photos !!!
Also the port design has been around a very long time, it will not clog on you. NOW I will say this you have huge control over how wet or dry the foam is, I am certain if you really try you can get it so dry that it possibly could clog but in twenty years I have never had this as a complaint. Best wishes D&D

2nd reply from D&D

As far as pumps go we recommend either the Pentair Quiteone 3000 or the MagDrive model 7 to run the regenerating venturi loop. This pump stricktly runs the high pressure side of the venturi. Process water is then brought in by a small powerhead (250 to 300 gph range), or tapped off an exhisting pump, or gravity feed using the sumpless kit (with this kit the unit can be run like a cannister filter one hose down from the tank one hose back up. (the only skimmer we know of world wide that can run under the tank without a sump). Second question, no we do not do direct retail sales. I can send you to several good mail houses or you can have your favorite dealer contact us and we will make arraingements. Drs Foster & SMith, Big Fish Tanks .com, Aquabargains, Amazon.com (home & garden area for now).
As far as Picts are concerned I will see if we can get some. All of the photography we have on had at the moment are advertising shots, pretty much what is on our web site. I will see what we can do on this one. If I missed anything just let me know.
D& D Marine

Johnny.

I would love to test drive this baby but man I would have to get a bigger sump to this.. ops forgot you don't need to keep it in the sump... hummm I am still debating this, anyone else have any thoughts on this skimmer?

Thanks
Dave

wooddood

the wood dude
:D looks like a pretty decent skimmer to me, although i have never had one or know anyone that has but i still think it looks like it will skim pretty good. good luck.

dave.:p

addict

It appears that it works almost on the same principle as the calcium reactor... a large recirculation loop, with a small feed pump to pump tank water through the skimmer and increase the dwell time of the water...
It's nicely priced at $217 at DRF&S as well... I like my ASM, but that skimmer definitely looks intriguing...

mps9506

Originally posted by reefer addict
It appears that it works almost on the same principle as the calcium reactor... a large recirculation loop, with a small feed pump to pump tank water through the skimmer and increase the dwell time of the water...
It's nicely priced at $217 at DRF&S as well... I like my ASM, but that skimmer definitely looks intriguing...

Same method that the turbofloater uses, as well as some otehr European skimmers. They use a pump to recirculate the bubbles within the skimmer, increases contact time and decreases bubble size.
The skimmate collection area is something I don't quite understand by looking at it, or reading his description.
Mike

The skimmate collection area is something I don't quite understand by looking at it, or reading his description.

NIce catch there mps9506 aka Mike :D
The top part which is slanted is the bubble area and not a collection cup. The bubbles are forced up to the top where the drain hose is that goes to your collection container.
This slanted part disconnects at the base for easy cleaning. Your hand can fit in there easily.

mps9506

I see, so it's sealed on the top. Been a while since I've seen a skimmer without a collection cup... Some of the skimmers I used to run just had a neck and a tube that collected the skimmate.. I guess this works on that same principle, but looks better :)
Mike