new skimmer

taklein65

I am thinking of buying a lifereef skimmer SVS3-24 or VS3-30 to put in my sump. Does anyone know about these skimmers or lifereef products at all? Everything i've read puts them up there with the best on the market.

rmlevasseur

I use one too, you can check my thread as well.

I do like it a lot, but I'm not sure it is as effective as some of the other real upper end stuff. This is not to imply it isn't, as I've never owned anything else. However I did see an Octopus Pro 250 in use recently and I began to wonder. However, it is extremely easy to set and clean, doesn't use propietary pumps, and will accept any number of mag drives or similar to power it. Plus it has a small footprint for in sump operation.

My only "problem" thus far is that the venturi does clog slowly, and sometimes you don't realize it until skimmer efficiency has been greatly reduced.

taklein65

Thank you all for your input i am still on the fence about what to do. I did read on another forum, RC i think that a NW skimmers output will drop if the neck gets dirty, something about oily build up i think. I'll clean the skimmer really good inside, instead of just wiping down the neck see if this helps. The ASM G2 worked like a dream the first 6-8 mos. It would almost fill the cup in a week now only about a 1/2" in a week. I've pull the skimmer about 5-6 times in the last 3-4 mos thinking it was clogged or something.:confused: no missing pins, air line is open this is my first skimmer and saltwater tank up till now been really easy. If this helps I'll let you all know:smck: Thanks again everybody.