new set up cloudy?

nickt

Finally got my tank all set up. It was crystal clear for 2 days now it's really cloudy. I used all ro water and instant ocean salt . Didn't add sand rock or fish yet. All of a sudden it's cloudy???? Help..... :bigbounce

SZHTTM

Other than the RO water and the Instant Ocean Salt, what else is in the tank?

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

nickt

I'm waiting.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

ScottT1980

Its tough to say what it is, I think that is why you haven't gotten more responses...

It could be a bacterial bloom, it could be an oversaturation of a given element, it could just be anomalous cloudiness...

Whatever it is, I would get a skimmer on the tank and also run some carbon.

Take er easy
Scott T.

tx29fan

what size is the tank, what type of substrate (sand, bare bottom, crushed coral) and what type of powerheads or pumps are you using? got a picture?

Warnberg

Nickt did you use any type of glue to attach all your fittings together? If I recall you told me that you have a 300 gal from tenecor, is this the tank you are talking about? Did you get the reef setup with a protien skimmer?

Dave

Witfull

it could be bacterial bloom. sand/ gravel always have some organics and bacteria on them. i dont think you have anything to worry about. test your pH and ammonia, when ammo rises and falls,,begin testing trites,,,when they fall, small water change and then you can move to the next step,,,,

Warnberg

Witfull, He said there is no sand or gravel in the tank... just RO water and Instant Ocean.... so I'm not sure where the bactera would come from....

JMO

Dave

Warnberg

Very true. I believe he just got a 300 from tenecor, which makes me very interested in his progress because my 240 is on it's way from tenecor as well. I thought maybe there wass some residue left over from the tank (wet test) they do and that may have caused it, or maybe some strange glue leaching into the tank..... just thinking outloud.

Dave

Witfull

being that IO's Ca level is appx 380 at best and a precip event happens usuaaly at over 500, i dont think that is it. also there would be precip on the bottom of the tank.

ScottT1980

FWIW, I have mixed up ASW with RO/DI water in a 55 gallon trash can and allowed it to circulate for a week. After about a week, the saltwater was pretty cloudy, and I attributed it to a bacterial bloom (for whatever reason, plenty of stuff in the air that could contribute to it).

This reminds me of an RC thread where I guy said that he officially proved Oceanic was a poor mix because it turned cloudy after a week. Of course, it ultimately turned out to be bacterial...

My 1st guess is in line with Dave's, although that doesn't mean it is in fact bacterial. However, using Occam's Razor and playing the percentages, that would be my first guess...

Take er easy
Scott T.