New Saltwater guy and Ich question

Trung

Hey All. My name is Trung and I have been doing freshwater for so long that I'm not running a saltwater cause I enjoy the fish more. I have a 200, 90 and 46 gallon tank. I dont have many fish yet but do have a few mushroom coral and anemones. My tanks are 9 months old or older.

I'm doing hypo salinity right now as we speak since my blue tang got ich during quarantine. My question is it still possible for ich to infect her at 1.008-1.009 gravity? She's been in their for 3 weeks but still shows signs of ich (salt grains) From the last sign of ich, she had about 20 spots. Now she has about 5 all on her forehead even though this is week 3. I use a refractometer as well so i know it's on point. Thanks for the help

DaveK

Generally 1.008 - 1.009 should stop SW ick.

A couple of items to check. Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated correctly? Are you really sure you have SW ick, and not some other disease.

As long as the number of spots seems to be going down and there are no new ones, you should be on the right track.

Trung

Thanks DaveK. Yes, it has been calibrated correctly. I have two refractometers. I'm very meticulous when it comes to my fishes. :) I know it's ick cause of the salt grain. When she had it, it was about 15 specs and now there are two specs. Now that I have examined it even closer, she seems to have a brownish bump on her forehead and where the "pregnant ich" used to be. I'll try to get a picture of it up. When marine ich drop off, does it leave a lesion? I believe that is what it might be.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Is it still in quarantine? Ever think of treating it with copper?

DaveK

Is it still in quarantine? Ever think of treating it with copper?

The op is currently treating with hyposalinity. You should never even use copper and hyposalinity together. So if they are going th treat with copper, they first would need to restore normal salinity. This could delay the whole treatment process, do you only want to do that if hyposalinity is ineffective.

Trung

The op is currently treating with hyposalinity. You should never even use copper and hyposalinity together. So if they are going th treat with copper, they first would need to restore normal salinity. This could delay the whole treatment process, do you only want to do that if hyposalinity is ineffective.

Thanks DaveK. You've helped me a lot. i'll keep this up to date and post pictures of my tank when everyone is in it!

Trung

is it possible to have ich infect her during hyposalinity? It seems like the ich keeps growing in the same spot. I can visibly see the ich on her. 3 grains of salt, my other two that's also in hypo doesn't have an infection at all. it's throwing me off since she's the only one to get it again.

rov

Hey All. My name is Trung and I have been doing freshwater for so long that I'm not running a saltwater cause I enjoy the fish more. I have a 200, 90 and 46 gallon tank. I dont have many fish yet but do have a few mushroom coral and anemones. My tanks are 9 months old or older.

I'm doing hypo salinity right now as we speak since my blue tang got ich during quarantine. My question is it still possible for ich to infect her at 1.008-1.009 gravity? She's been in their for 3 weeks but still shows signs of ich (salt grains) From the last sign of ich, she had about 20 spots. Now she has about 5 all on her forehead even though this is week 3. I use a refractometer as well so i know it's on point. Thanks for the help
If you are getting results just keep going with it . Yes ich really dot like freshwater . But blue tangs are a target for ich because they stress out easily get some garlic based food for it if you are not doing that already as it helps there immune system

Susanedw

I had a kole tang that used to get ick occassionally. I used garlic drops from kent in the water and that seemed to help my kole fight it off. I recently lost it to marine velvet--lost 9 of 13 fish and am now going fallow for 76 days to get rid of the ick in my main tank. Treated the survivers with copper, and the dragonet with cp. They can't return to main tank until october...