New RSM owner, light trouble.

steveh

Sorry to hear you have had a problem with your hood. While we did experience issues with some early hoods (particularly timers sticking), we have had excellent reliability since the first batch. You have one of the newer Grasslin timers which are pretty much bullet proof. I suspect it is just a freak simple component failure somewhere inside the hood unless it is the lamps. Please feel free to email Pinky (pinky@redseafish.com) and we'll go in to more detail to confirm the issue. Rest assured we will resolve it for you quickly.

w00t

Thanks Steve, I did have the lamps tested and they did work so it must just be a failure somewhere like you said.

I've exchanged a few emails with Pinky about it, just waiting to hear back on the latest.

Even without a hood I still love the tank haha.

w00t

Just heard back and they're going to send me a new ballast and timer, so I'm happy to hear that.

But the bad news is over the weekend I had more issues with the hood as my moonlights quit working, the water cooling fan seems burned out, and one of my hood side hinges started to crack. :(

Will the new hoods fit the older model? I asked if I could pay something to upgrade to it, I'm worried that this hood will cause me more problems down the road.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
w00t - my goodness - more hood problems. Maybe you should insist on a new hood? It sounds like too many problems with one hood! The moonlights is a new issue, and the hinge cracking yet another. It seems like your one hood has all the problems that I've ever heard about happening all rolled into one hood.

Did you mean that little cooling fan in back? What's that doing - is it stopped?

I'm not sure on the hoods being interchangeable between the 130 & 130D.

w00t

Yeah the water cooling fan slowed down to a crawl and is basically barely turning, it started to make a grinding noise at first. I would guess it had less than 8 hours from when I first turned it on. I've had computer fans burn out on me act the same way. The 2 fans for the lights work fine... for now lol.

Aren't I lucky? :laugh:

I did ask for a new hood, doesn't look like they went for it though. Looking more into it the hinges on the hood don't look like they'll match up to the tank... but I'm not certain on that. I just didn't want these issues to repeat themselves on my current hood. I should have returned it but it was the only one my lfs had in stock and they didn't expect to get any more in for a while.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
When I first put that little fan in back it made a lot of noise. The noise stopped after I tapped on the center of the fan. I can't remember which side I tapped on - the tank side or the back. It's worth a try.

w00t

It started quiet as could be, but when it started making noise it was quit warm and started to emit that electrical burning smell. It's a bit hard to turn by hand so I'm not sure what happened to it. Just a dud I guess.

I've had the other 2 fans running for over a day, and they seem to be running perfectly.

steveh

Really sorry to see you are experiencing some issues. I am speaking to HQ about this on your behalf and you can be assured we will resolve any issues you have. Thanks for choosing a MAX, and I hope when the issues are resolved it will live up to your expectations. If you have further issues or want to chat then please email me directly and I will be happy to assist: steveh@redseafish.com

w00t

Just to update that Pinky@RS did send me out a new hood, and I quickly received it despite being all the way up here in Canada. I was very impressed, and was a nice Christmas gift lol and yes the lights work perfectly now. I am very happy.

But I still need to get my hinge replaced, as the new hood did not have them equipped. I also broke one of the small pins while transferring one hinge over as well so I hope that I can get that replaced. It was my own fault mind you but man are they hard to get out. And hopefully my rear fan but those are minor issues which I'm sure will get solved quickly. I'm just happy to have working lights now, looks so much better.

Steve, thanks for the assistance. And thanks everyone for the ideas and help as well. Despite the problems, Red Sea you have earned yourself a new faithful customer. 250 is on my list lol :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good deal and great response by Red Sea! I'm confused on the hinge though as to what was broken - the part on the tank itself?

The tank has to look better now that you can see in it! :)

w00t

No just the actual hinge was cracked from before, the side ones that you use to prop the hood up. The part I broke was the small pin that holds it to the hood, minor so I hope I can get a new part.