new RSM 250

jonsoder

Well, bot it used but new to me. Have been reading a lot of threads here and its all great info, but since every reefer has their own style and level of handyman skills the guidance can get a little scattered.

So I hav the aforementioned RSM250, 50lbs dry rock and 40lb "live" aragonite sand. Ro/DI is on the way. Traveling next week so not getting started til week after anyway.

Looks like universal logic is add rock/water/sand all together and let it all cycle together? Any reason to do it in stages?

My personal twist: I have an (unsuccessful) 29g cube that I am going o tfr rock and maybe sand from, but as I posted in my very first thread here I'm going to let the live rock dry out and die. I know, I'm killing off the good bacteria but I want to kill whatev was killing my old tank first and foremost. Is the suggestion to add that sand and rock before or after the new dry rock?

Happy to take any and all advise. Need this tank to go MUCH better than the old one did.

THANKS!!!

Jon

Tjr1992

What was wrong with your biocube? What do you think went wrong with it? What some physical signs you could see?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can do it any number of ways and there isn't a right way or wrong way. Many folks will add RO/DIO water (don't fill to the top) to the tank and then add salt and let the power heads mix it for a day or two checking the salinity levels and adjusting over that time, then they add their rock and sand. Other like putting in their base rock first, then add sand and finally water, so it really will work either way.

Good question above, what went wrong with your Biocube?