New RO/DI questions.

I just installed a new RO/DI system to replace the RO system I had. I need to plumb it so I have RO/DI for ATO and water changes and just RO for drinking water.

I have a 5 gallon pressure tank for the drinking water. Where should I collect and store the water for water changes? Do I need another pressure tank? How does the Brute trashcan work that alot of you use?

I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out but for whatever reason (age?) I'm having a hard time with this one.

BRS sells a system for both but I can't find a diagram of how they set it up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My first post is a little vague. Let me try to make it a little more specific.

In regard to the Brute trashcan:

1. It's used to mix water for waterchanges, right?
2. Is it full of water all the time or just a day or two before a waterchange?
3. Does it have a float valve for auto shutoff?
4. How do you transfer the water from the Brute trashcan to the tank when you do a waterchange? Pump? Gravity feed? Buckets?
5. Can high pressure RO water (from my pressurized tank) be run through the DI resin or should it be the low pressure / slow output from the RO membrane?
6. Is the Brute trashcan also used as the ATO reservoir or do you use a different container for the ATO?

I think I can figure the rest out if I get answers to these questions.

carlfike

My first post is a little vague. Let me try to make it a little more specific.

In regard to the Brute trashcan:

1. It's used to mix water for waterchanges, right?
2. Is it full of water all the time or just a day or two before a waterchange?
3. Does it have a float valve for auto shutoff?
4. How do you transfer the water from the Brute trashcan to the tank when you do a waterchange? Pump? Gravity feed? Buckets?
5. Can high pressure RO water (from my pressurized tank) be run through the DI resin or should it be the low pressure / slow output from the RO membrane?
6. Is the Brute trashcan also used as the ATO reservoir or do you use a different container for the ATO?

I think I can figure the rest out if I get answers to these questions.

1: yes
2:usually a day or two before
3: its optional. But will save you from watering the floor.
4: I use a small pump with some tubing.
5: straight from the unit
6: a lot of people do use them. Any food grade container is fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

1: yes
2:usually a day or two before
3: its optional. But will save you from watering the floor.
4: I use a small pump with some tubing.
5: straight from the unit
6: a lot of people do use them. Any food grade container is fine.

Great, thank you. When you say "straight from the unit" do you mean the slow trickle from the RO membrane as it's making water?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

carlfike

Out of the did membrane. Ro alone won't cut it. But yes the slow trickle

Just wanted to update this for anyone who might benefit.

I have a large pressurized tank (10-15 gal) for drinking water (RO) and a small pressurized tank (3 gal) for my ATO (RO/DI) and to fill a 20 gal Brute trashcan for waterchanges. I tee'd off the outlet from the RO to feed the drinking water system without going through the DI resin filter. I have valves to isolate each side. So, when I'm making drinking water, I shut off the valve going to my RO/DI tank. Conversely, when I'm making RO/DI I shut off a valve going to the drinking water tank.

It's a little bit of a pain to have to manually turn the valves... and I could see forgetting to turn the drinking water system back on after making RO/DI. All the water in the large pressurized tank would still be available, but it wouldn't be refilling. I might tweek things a little as I go, but for now it's working the way I want it to.

Now, the really cool part! Until now I was using just RO water for my tank. I did a big waterchange about 3 days ago using the new RO/DI water and all my topoff has been RO/DI for a couple of days. Everything in the tank is THRIVING! I don't know how that's possible after such a short amount of time, but I'll take it. Before abandoning my old RO system, I tested the TDS. It was 20 ppm. Now it's 0. Love it.