new pictures (actually first pics posted) thought i would share

slb11106

hello all,

i have finally posted pictutes of my tank, i just updated and added my refugium, removed bioballs and letting it settle down.

my one problem is that i have a ton of bubbles, anyone have any ideas what it may be ?

please see my gallery for pics

also wondered what everyone thought of the tank....

thanks

not sure on how to add pics to this so ...here we go

Attachments

• bubles.jpg
    bubles.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 64

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nice looking tank!

Baffles in the sump will help with micro bubble from an insump skimmer. Also new pumps and skimmers will produce a lot of bubbles during the first few weeks of operation.

mkpaulson

your tank looks really nice :thumbup:

I agree with Woodstock about the baffles.

a lot of the time micro bubbles are caused by the return pump sucking air you may want to put more teflon tape or check the clamps on the and take side of your return pump.

john

bubbles are probably coming from the skimmer,you can lower the riser pipe and youll see less bubbles!!

slb11106

i thought that the bubbles may be comming from the skimmer also, so i shut it down and the bubbles did not stop(i also added a large sponge). the bubbles are constant, however they do "pulse" , in other words they are pretty much always comming out in a small amount, but every 5 seconds or so a blast of bubbles comes out and this happens continiously:grr: :grr:

slb11106

yea, go bucs (maybe this comming season we will get it together !!??!!)

oldsaint... what lfs store do you go to ? what area of tampa are you in ?

oldsaint

slb11106 said:
yea, go bucs (maybe this comming season we will get it together !!??!!)

oldsaint... what lfs store do you go to ? what area of tampa are you in ?

LOL Geaux Saints!! If I had a dollar every time I had to say "next year" I'd be rich.
I'm in the brandon area and work in Tampa. Have you checked out our reef club http://www.tampabayreef.com/. I hope that's ok to post a link? We get together the 3rd Sat of every month. Stop by we'd love to have you.

LFS? IMO there is only one great LFS in the bay area and that's "Fish and other Ichthy Stuff" in Odsmar. John aka "The Fish Nazi" the owner is very knowledgable. He's a no BS guy, hence the nick name but once you get to know his personality he can be very helpful.
Creative Oceans, on Dale Mabry just south of Kennedy is another good one. Check out the clubs web site for some more. I stick with John's store he has NEVER done me wrong.

slb11106

i will have to check out that oldsmar store, where is it exactly, i work on race track road about 2 minutes from oldsmar. i am very excited to go. i usually go to a place called the "marine warehouse" on hillsborough and sheldon. they are good but sometimes a bit "out there":columbo:

i will look into your group and get back to you, that sounds like a thing i would like to do.

addict

Chances are your microbubbles are coming from your drain... as the water falls into the sump, it splashes a lot and creates a bunch of microbubbles, that unless baffled in the sump, will get pumped back into the tank.

Some people use a filter sock over the outlet where the drain enters the sump to tame the microbubbles a bit, but that tends to add an extra maintenance chore to an already maintenance-heavy hobby, so I tend to go the baffle route. :D

It's definitely not coming from your return line, because that line is under pressure, and would be leaking outward, rather than pulling air inward.

At least that's my educated guess... You're also running quite a bit more volume through your sump than you need to (if the LG is your return pump). You really only need to run 3-4x the tank volume through the sump per hour, since that's pretty much the maximum efficiency of your skimmer (it circulates about 3-4x the tank volume per hour)... anything extra is just overkill.

Also, more circulation means that the water is moving through the sump faster, and thus microbubbles don't have as much time to rise to the surface before the water is returned to the tank via the return pump, and that will also exacerbate your microbubble problem.

A ball valve on the flow side of the return pump will let you fine-tune the sump turnover.

Just some stuff to think about. :)

Good luck.

slb11106

that is some great info, i will check into that tonight and see if i can tone my pump down a hair.

i will post my findings tomarrow

thanks