New Pics of Hex and Breeder!

Thats all for now. Please let me knwo what you think or my tanks. On the the Hex, do you think i should stick with bluer spectrum bulbs or switch over to xm or ab 10k. Most of the pics i just posted were taken with the camera more sensitive to the red spectrum, otherwise the pics come out very drab; 20ks make it hard to photograph . Thanks for looking
-Austin

Witfull

looks great and congrats on your 100th post also. what part of jersey north,,central...south?

addict

Wow, very nice!
I vote for blue! :D
That's an awesome zoa colony. :drooool:

I've attached a pic of a colony that brian_e has (that I also have a frag of) that looks like your unidentified coral.
I'm not sure what it is, but it's probably my favorite coral (and the frag is less than 1" tall). :)

I keep trying to narrow down the species, but the coral is so small it's tough to tell.

Yeh i tried to narrow mine down but its just a shot in the dark. Its my favorite coral as it colored up from a very dull brown to a deep purple under the 20ks and has doubled in size in less than a year. I'm worried if i switch to 10ks, it will go brown again.

Wit, my sister and brother in law live in Evesham Twp. How did you fare through that last heavy rain?

addict

I have my frag under 10k's about 3" off the sandbed and it looks almost identical to the pic I posted. I also have a lot of actinic supplementation, which may be helping out.
I'm not sure which bulb brian_e has that one growing under, but he has a mix of 10/20k bulbs over his tank.
'Browning out' is a normal condition for most SPS when lighting conditions change, then they color back up once everything stabilizes... though bulb kelvin does have a lot to do with their eventual coloration.
Some people actually notice better coloration in some corals when switching from 20k to 10k, but you forego that huge 420nm spike that makes the corals glow so well...

The tank is looking great... too bad you're gonna have to tear it down and move it across country soon... :(

I cant wait (sort of) to tear down the tank and really plan things out like you have with your tank. Its gonna be a hassle, but i think it will be well worth it to have my original sps frags grow out in a much more organized and larger tank.

Brucey

Austin . . . . gorgeous Zoo's bud. What was wrong with your brain. I've inherited one from a friend who nealry killed it. It had very bad recession is several area's and the whole thing was completed retracted with the skelaton showing everywhere. It's got all fleshy again now but where it recessed completely it hasn't recovered. Wondered if yours was this bad and if so do they recover the recessed area's ???
Brucey

Brucey,
The brain just started receding from one end one day last year. I ended up giving the brain a Kent Marine coral dip and it has slowly recovered. It still hasnt fully regrown on the side that started receding.

heres a pick that shows how active a 2-3 inch sand bed can be. I have 30lbs of gulf-view live sand rubble mixed with 10-20lbs of fiji pink 1-2mm sand

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Beautiful pics.....i just bought the XM 10k's and i hope i get half that color.