New Photos - Advise

newsalt

I just attached some new photos of some corals in my 50g. You can see them on the home page or in my gallery. The pictures are just average. I'm having a hard time getting good shots of my tank, either from a distance or close up. I'm using a Kodak LS443 4 megapixel camera. The pictures are never as sharp as alot of the others I see posted. Can someone give my some advise or tips on how to get better shots? I often read about white balance. The settings on my camera are: auto, daylight, tungsten and fluorescent. The shots I just uploaded had the white balance set to Auto. The pictures are also a bit blurry. I can never get good shots of fish or corals because the come out blurry. The camera has a few ISO settings: auto, ISO 100, ISO 200, and ISO 400. Should I be using ISO 400?

Some help please. Thanks.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm no expert but are you using a tripod ? The tripod usually helps alot. Are you using the flash ? I don't usually use it because of the reflection I'm sure Travis will be here soon to help.

drdrew

be sure you are shooting perpendicular to the glass. any angle will cause distortion. be sure you are not closer than the minimum focusing distance of the camera. higher iso may allow your camera to select a faster shutter which will avoid motion blur if handholding as well as it might select a higher f-stop which will improve your depth of feild. try these few things and see if it helps.