New oceanic salt

F355GTB

Oceanic Salt Test

I just used my 5 gal sample for a water change on my 20 Gal. FOWLR today. Here are the results:

I used one full bag of 5 Gal mix and 5 - 1 Gal jugs of distilled water. I had it mixing for 4 hours.

SG @ 78 deg = 1.021 using a Pinpoint Salinity monitor
pH = 8.0 using a Fastest
Alk = 6.1 dKH using a Salifert
Ammonia = 0 using a Fastest
Nitrate = 0 using a Fastest
Nitrite = 0 using a Salifert
Calcium = 420 using a Salifert (seemed high so I checked again and it is 420)
Phosphate = 0 using Salifert
Copper = 0 using Fastest (I had the test kit & figured why not use it)

John

mick77

Great info! Thanks for taking the time to do the test and post your results. I know many have been wanting this info, nice job!

Curtswearing

This salt FINALLY became available in St. Louis. I didn't get my sample so I guess I'll just have to buy a bag and test it out.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ya I know what you mean Curt I never got my sample so I just ordered a 200gal bucket from Premium Aquatics:rolleyes:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Maybe they are sending the samples out alphabetically or by region or something?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well that's not fair I ordered mine first hence starting the thread:waa:
I love free stuff ' if it's free it's for me'.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I got my sample yesterday, and I mixed it up. I got a hair under 500 for the calcium, on my red sea test kit:rolleyes:. I used 4.5 gallons of RO water to get a SG of about 1.024. Thats all I have kits for other than trites, trates, ammonia, and PH, I know I need more, but they are too expensive, and I think my LFS test for the things I don't have.

Anyways, I did the stupid thing and did a 5 gal water change, but no ill effects, and everything seems to open up the same if not a little faster. I did start using sea lab No. 28 blocks yesterday too tho.

I was happy that the Ca was testing higher than my IO, and I needed more salt anyways, so I bought a 90 gal container of it today, and I am going to start my nano with it.

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
One of our LFS has started to carry Oceanic, so I decided to try it out with the new 50G I'm setting up for the wife. Mixed up 50G with RO/DI water. The water cleared after about 15 minutes. Got the following test results:

SG - 1.025@80 degrees F.
pH - 8.1
Calcium - 420, salifert
Nitrates - 0, salifert
Nitrites - 0, salifert
Ammonia - 0, salifert
Alk - 6.1dkH, salifert
Phosphate - 0, salifert

Haven't checked the magnesium level yet, salt did disolve completely, no leftover visible particles or trash.

So far it looks good, but it is in an empty tank at this point.

Pro_builder

I just got my Free sample yesterday. Here are the results after airating it for 24 hours.
A= 0
N=0
N=0
Ph =0
Ca 420
DKH= 8.1
Mg= 1150
pH= 8.2
Not bad after what I thought it would be. :rolleyes:
Hope that everything stays that way for quality control. It seems like everything is good until everyone switches to it, then the quality starts to drop off. :eek:

I hope that this stuff is good. My LFS told me that it is going to run in the range of $75 to $80 range. But they were running a special on it. 200 gal mix for $49. so I got 2, what the heck its only money...NOW it just be as good as they say it is. Got way too much $$$ in this to start killing things now. LFS said they loved it, hope I do too.

wooddood

the wood dude
have'nt got mine yet either,but im like what troy said i will wait a while and see how it works out for everyone else first.if it does i may use it to setup my 35 gal tank.

tommyp

I bought a 90g jug for $18 special price from the lfs. mixes real well. I just did a water change on the nano and I am going to do a 3 gallon on the main tank and see. I put a gallon in both tanks last week and didn't notice anything different. going to work up to my normal 5 gal water changes a month.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Scooter

Makes you wonder, AGA makes Kent also

Kent is make by IO, Aquarium Syetems, AKA, Marineland.

Not much of a say on the Oceanic, shoulds like nice stuff, some have the idea it is a mod. Red Sea salt, kinda' like Kent is a mod. IO. However, being part of AGA makes me wonder, this is a HUGE company. No info on where it is being made, you would think they would brag about that facility:confused:

mps9506

Originally posted by Boomer
Scooter

Makes you wonder, AGA makes Kent also

Kent is make by IO, Aquarium Syetems, AKA, Marineland.

Not much of a say on the Oceanic, shoulds like nice stuff, some have the idea it is a mod. Red Sea salt, kinda' like Kent is a mod. IO. However, being part of AGA makes me wonder, this is a HUGE company. No info on where it is being made, you would think they would brag about that facility:confused:

I think I screwed up some things in an earlier post.

Central Pet owns and distributes products by All Glass (who owns Oceanic), they also recently aquired Kent.
Marineland/aquarium Systems is distributed by central pet, but I don't believe they own them.

I'm interested in who/where this facility is also.
Wonder how much salt they will sell once the price goes back up to MSRP...
Mike

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Are you sure CT **owns these companies,,i.e., Kent, AGA ??

Kent salt is still made by AS, they are under contract.