ReeferRich

Hi all, I'm kinda new at reef keeping (3 years) but still need to learn a lot. I saw this site and thought what a great place for advice on reef tanks. I have a 55 gallon tank with Magnum 350, a skilter hang on with built in skimmer and a ten gallon refugium and a 18 watt uv steralizer for water qualitey. Four 65 watt compact florecents for the lighting and I cannot get rid of this brown and red bubbley slime on the glass and some of the zoeanthids and recentley I have had an explosion of aiptasia anemones my peppermint shrimp won't eat them any other ways to get rid of them? ReeferRich

blue_eyes53813

HI welcome to RS... Is the tank 3 years old? It is kinda odd to have slime algae after that long.. What are your nitrates? Do you use RO water? How much flow do you have in the tank? How old and for how long are the lights on? For aiptasia Ive heard joes juice is good....

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Welcome to the Sanctuary ReeferRich! :thumbup:

Blue eyes has you on the right track...Also how old are your lights? PCs are usually good for 6 to 8 months. After this time the light spectrum changes which can be advantageous to the algae you describe. Sounds like you have a cyano problem - how often are you feeding and what are your phosphate levels?

Post a pic of your algae if you can and we can direct you even further...

Cheers!

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! As you can see, lots of friendly helpful people here. I totally agree with the above advice and will add that I have had good luck with joes but have had to do multiple treatments in one case.
Best of luck and post pics when you can. We love pics here.

ReeferRich

My lights are only about 4 months old, but the slime did'nt start until I put the pc's in the system. There is good water flow ( the tank is 3 years old )I do not use ro water because I cannot affordthe set up yet. (funds are an issue for me,I've been adding things when I can .)I will post pics soon as I can.

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

RO water would help alot but I understand the $ issue... Do a good overall cleaning of all equipment,, rinse out/clean all filters weekly. Make sure all food is being eaten and not dropping to the bottom and sitting. Make sure to keep on a water change schedule..Check nitrates and reduces if any are showing on the test... Sounds like your tank is telling you it needs some cleaning. Im not sure what your water change schedule is or saying you arent cleaning your tank but it may be something as simple as dirty filters...These tanks can be fussy.. Good luck

lcstorc

Have you tested the water you are using for water changes?
What does it read for nitrates and phosphates?
That may be at least part of the issue. I would test the incoming water and go from there.