New Mated Pair of Bengaiis

SeaMunky

Hey all..Well on top of my new clowns, I have a mated pair of bengaiis.This is new to me, all I know is that they are live bearers..Anyone have any experience with these fish?..I cant find anything on net about captive breeding of them...
Thanks

Last edited:

Snelly40

i have a friend who breeds them, he swears by making the male spit out the babies the day before they are due to release from his mouth.
He does this by capturing the male and leaving him in a small container which stresses him and he will release the babies. This enables him to put the babies in their own tank so they will not be eaten

lcstorc

Very cool
You might want to try to get to HMA. He posted a pic recently of one with a mouth full of eggs. Not sure if he raises them or not but worth a try.

SeahorseBT

I heard they need BBS for the first food. I'm not sure though. I would give these guys a try if I found them locally. Did you know they are endangered?

SeaMunky

Bengaiis are endangered?..Wow, I didnt know that..So I guess its a good thing for all these tank raised breeders to continue trying to reduce the amount being harvested outta the wild..Hope I can contribute to that..Just need ther right info, and I will do my best..

SeaMunky

Heres my new pair..dont mind the pics..not the greatest..

IMG_0257.jpg

SeahorseBT

according to that site yes they are. It's more than that site that says it too. I don't see them often over here.If a male is holding eggs then he won't eat.

SeaMunky

WOOOHOOOO..I just got home and my male has a mouthfull of babies..omg, someone please help..what do I do next..I think I read they hold them for 19 days..so what do I need to get ready in the mean time??..ohh I am so excited..lmao