New life in my first tank

k2bordr03

I've got my first frags today from the LFS and added them just a few hours ago, I'm hoping they take off and go crazy, only bad part was i didn't get the dark green zoo's i was going for but I'll be going back for more soon. :)
So far so good on the 29g, next month I plan on adding some more live rock to the left side of the tank. My black clowns and chromis are all doing great and I've been having a blast with the hobby.

PC220366.JPG
PC220361.JPG

PC220363.JPG
PC220365.JPG

framerguy

Very nice corals. It's exciting isn't it! Zoos are a good first choice and should grow well. It looks like you need to increase flow near the bottom a little to take care of the algae problem. Brisk flow won't let it take hold.

Congratulations again.

k2bordr03

how would i go about in adding more flow? its only a 29g..so should i add another powerhead...I have one already aimed at my rock but i thought 2 would be too many?

tbittner

Looks great! But (you knew there would be a "but" in there.) you mentioned adding more LR. Hopefully you've cycled the rock in another container before adding it to your tank because it will cause a spike and corals (yes, even zoa's) don't like ammonia spikes. :)

k2bordr03

ya all the live rock is cycled here in town, goes in my bucket of saltwater at the lfs and then into the tank when i get home :)

tbittner

Cool! It must be nice to have a LFS that fully cycles LR. We don't have one that does that around here. I think they sell it almost as fast as they get it in so it doesn't have time to cure.

k2bordr03

i definitely helps to have a lfs with cured LR, lol, it only took 2 weeks for my cycle to be leveled out, and i didnt have to buy a ton of rock to begin with. So should i add another powerhead to point at the substrate?

tigerarmy90

looking good, I would buy add one to towards the surface to break that film up. this will in turn put all the bad stuff in the film in the water column where it can be filtered out! as far as the diatoms on the substrate I wouldnt worry too much as they should go away with time...most newer tanks go threw a bloom :)

lcstorc

You could definitely add another power head. Most tanks could use more flow. Try to get rid of any dead spots and create turbulent flow by pointing the powerheads at each other or towards the rock or glass. Or get some of the new Koralia nanos. They have a wide angle of flow so they can be very useful.

k2bordr03

so today i added another powerhead, the tank now had 2 koralina 1's. and the water flow from each is 400gph. Is that enough water movement?