New Jawfish

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, I just bought a new pearly jawfish. He's a little small for my taste, but he's found a good burrowing spot. Its between two rocks, with a forest of xebias over and behind him for cover.

He seems pretty at ease, but I'm going to get a screen to ensure he doesn't jump out.

Can I remove the screen after a month or so?

Also, I'm considering getting another. If it isn't the opposite sex, at least I'll have two separate burrows.

I'll try to get a picture of it later.

lbiminiblue

He's barely peeking out.
e4a9e9ut.jpg

DaveK

Great fish, and lots less expensive than a blue spot. As pointed out, a cover is required.

With your tank size, adding another one is usually not a problem, but they do go after each other a bit. As long as they both have enough room to establish a territory, you'll be fine.

lbiminiblue

Awesome. I'm thinking of making my own cover with fishing line weaved between a plastic frame.

I imagine the jaws would stay away from each other? And how aggressive would they get in their quarrels?

DaveK

Awesome. I'm thinking of making my own cover with fishing line weaved between a plastic frame.

I imagine the jaws would stay away from each other? And how aggressive would they get in their quarrels?

Jawfish don't usually "go for the kill". It's more a constant squabble over territory and small pieces of shell and rocks for their burrow. They don't usually do a lot of major damage, but the "looser" needs some space to get away from the other one and dig a new home.

lbiminiblue

I think I have more than enough space and line of sight breaks.

I think I have more than enough pebbles. I can just smash limestone for that.
Should I add the second fish before I add another, like an anthias or lawnmower blenny?