New here

GNEEDHAM

Hi all, new here and new to the hobby. My husband and I purchased our first 55g SW tank a little over a year ago. It's mostly been FOWLR tank until recently, when he decided that he wanted corals. So, we dropped a few more dollars into the tank and have purchased our first corals. They should be here this week. I joined here to get as much information as possible. Very nice site with a lot of knowledgeable people. I look forward to reading a lot more and trying to learn as much as I possibly can about the world of reef keeping.
Our tank right now houses:
approximately 100 lbs live rock
3" live sand
Two clown fish
Four damsels
Lawnmower blenny
Foxface Lo
Bluegreen chromis
cleaner crew
LT Anemone

We originally started with just one clown and two damsels, the Lo and blenny but a friend at work was taking his brother's tank down and wanted to know if I wanted his two damsels, chromis, clown, starfish and anemone, otherwise they were just going to let them die with the tank :eek: . So much to my dismay (as I don't believe our tank is big enough for all these fish), we took the fish. They seem to be doing fine. I'll try to post pictures of my tank (which is so not impressive at all) and see if you guys have suggestions for me.
Talk to you all soon
Ginger
(wow - that was a novel and a half!)

XBwlr

GNEEDHAM said:
...I'll try to post pictures of my tank (which is so not impressive at all)...

It doesn't matter. :D
Just post pics.

Welcome to the Sanctuary.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
7-whassup_bud.jpg

GNEEDHAM

Alright, so we got the new corals today ----yay! (I'm off work tomorrow, I'll get pictures posted then.) My husband ordered a Candy Cane coral (caulastrea furcata) and a Blastomussa merletti. So, after getting off work at 4 am and sleeping for a few hours, the package arrived and I got to work right away on acclimation. Then I had to get ready to come back to work. So I put the new babies in the tank on the bottom, because I really don't know where they go. We have a 260w CF light with 2 65 w actinics and 2 10,000K bulbs. Is that enough lighting? I'm not really prepared to buy more lighting right now, but could if we had to. If that's enough lighting, where should I place the corals?

framerguy

Welcome to RS!! Your lighting is sufficient for those corals. They are deep water corals and only need moderate light. You could put them anywhere in the tank, but they enjoy supplemental feeding so place them where you can do that. They like meaty stuff, fish, krill, etc. Nice job.

You realize your tank is overstocked, so more frequent waterchanges and aggressive skimming are in order. I hope you have a good CUC to clean up all the poop!

GNEEDHAM

We actually have two skimmers and do a 10 to 20 % water change per week. If we had a LFS I'd try to get rid of some of the fish, they seem crowded, but have plenty of places to hide.
Thanks for the advice on the corals. After we have these for a while, are there any other corals that we could have with the lighting?