new here but not so new to aqualife

fishyfish

Hi I live in Naples, Florida. I have a 72 gal bowfront tank that I've had for about 4 yrs. It started as a fish only tank with live rock and live sand.

I did go too fast even though I read all the info and was warned not to.
I guess I was thinking weeks and they meant months (hee hee)

I started with damsels to cycle. Added a hermit crab and several small snails.
Then a mythrax crab.
My first 3 purchases of fish was a Coral Beauty Angel, a Maroon Clown and 3 chromis. We discovered a stray crab that must've come with the rock. We also found another mythrax crab. Both the mythrax's died within a month, maybe that bigger stray crab got them. The Angel fish died in 3 days, he was injured. Maybe from the crab (it was quite big) or maybe the Clown picked on him.
One of the chromis fish died. We then bought a Keyhole Angel, a Racoon Butterfly and 2 more chromis and more snails as they died off pretty quickly.
The chromis fish fought and killed each other off.

We had the Angel fish several months and he died. The Butterfly fish lasted a full year. He died suddenly but we did have an anemone that he nipped at and then wouldn't eat for a few days but that was several months before he died.

We still have the maroon clown. We bought a rose anemone that he just loves

We bought a yellow tang a month after the butterfly died Finally we started a few corals. We bought some mushrooms.
Then a polyp which didn't last long. I think we didn't have enough
filtration. We now have a brain which is doing good.

This is an expensive hobby but well worth it to me.
I enjoy changing water and messing around with the rock and discovering
new fish.

We learned a lot. Like angel fish aren't necessarily good for a new tank
and an inexperienced aquarist.

We've lost many fish. Had a dragon wrasse, a couple of scooter bennies
an engineer goby (wouldn't eat, lasted 3 days) a royal gramma, several
angels over the 4 yrs. We had a starry blenny that we loved that disappeared. Maybe he died inside a rock and the crabs got him.

We're still looking to get into more corals. We try to keep a nice variety.
My mate likes fish mostly and I like critters and corals and just a few fish.
So we now have 4 fish, a hermit crab, an anemone, several mushrooms, a brain coral and a shrimp.

It's a fun hobby, an expensive hobby and at times aggravating.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome to RS....I live in New Port Richey, FL(north of tampa) Could you maybe elaborate on your tank setup, IE-filter, pumps, skimmer, lighting...maybe we can get you back on the right track to not loose fish...

framerguy

Welcome to RS!! You've come to the right place. I'm with Daniel...tell us about your setup and the water parameters you are keeping because you shouldn't be losing that many fish.

vdituri

Welcome aboard!
Sounds like you've had a busy reefing experience so far.
Please do posts some stats about your setup.
And maybe some pics? hint hint? :hallo:

fishyfish

If you must know...I bought a new skimmer (Prism Pro by Red Sea)
and replaced the lights recently. (we use 65 watt florescent coralife
2 actinic and 2 50/50). We had a Rio powerhead as the main pump (2500) and now we've switched to a magnetic drive utility pump 950 GPH which is much more efficient. We replaced two maxi-jet 1200 submersible powerheads with one powerhead by Tunze. All those other powerheads heated the water too much during the summer and I had to put a fan under the aquarium to cool it down. Now these new pumps are much better. More efficient and less heat.

Everything is great now. I was just saying I had lost fish over the 4 yr period while learning. Sometimes I knew why...like once the main pump needed to be replaced and I lost a fish due to not enough aeration. Sometimes a fish dies to wake us up that there is a problem. Sometimes a fish just won't eat. We've experimented with various foods and have come up with a good variety for the fish we have. Brine Shrimp Plus, Prime Reef, Sometimes regular brine shrimp (frozen) sometimes live brine shrimp. Sometimes Cyclops, and always fresh algae strips for the tangs. (not all at once of course).

My Maroon Clown lived through all those problems and more. I had ick twice early on, a huge algae bloom once. It's frustrating but a learning experience.