New heater killed my shrimps twice?

malau

Hi All,

I got 2 different types of shrimps (peppermints and redline) from different LFS within a week (see below). They both died on the next day (I kept them separately).

What happened:
I got the peppermint at the first place.
Here are the tank info (breeding tank):
few liverocks from DT
water from DT (added/acclimated slowly by adding DT water to the plastic bag).
New heater
No sand.
No filter as I was planning to add filter on the next day as I got the shrimps late after work.

I used the same tank (~ 15 L) just about 2 months ago for CBS but since then I went to overseas so I gave the CBS to others, cleaned and dried.

On the next day morning before I go to work, they are looking fine. (I added 1-2 frozen bs in the tank). However they are not interested in it..including the atpispa (I donno how to spell).

When I finished work, they dead. Bristle worms came out from the rocks (or you can see them between holes also the water became milky (obvious)

I thought it was LFS problem and then I ordered redline shrimp from other LFS:
LFS water + DT water this time. Took 4 hrs to add the water fully (few drops DT water / sec)
Sponge filter
few live rocks from DT tank.
When I was adding the water the water is already a bit milky (not very obvious but noticeable). Both the water from LFS / DT waters were milky.
I acclimated the shrimp 4-6 hrs by adding the DT water slowly.
Same heater, same tank after washed and dried
No sand.

This time, shrimps are gone on next day (today). I can see some bristle stars at the bottom of the tank which is unusual.

I am thinking if sth wrong with the heater as I got another one, same brand, 1-2 yrs ago for my fresh water (iirc). Fishes gone on next day.

I was suspect ammonia however for the first time (peppermint shrimp) I didnt feed them except 2 brime shrimp... and other than that dont know which or how to cause the ammonia...

any idea? thanks

Reefltx

Hi All,

I got 2 different types of shrimps (peppermints and redline) from different LFS within a week (see below). They both died on the next day (I kept them separately).

What happened:
I got the peppermint at the first place.
Here are the tank info (breeding tank):
few liverocks from DT
water from DT (added/acclimated slowly by adding DT water to the plastic bag).
New heater
No sand.
No filter as I was planning to add filter on the next day as I got the shrimps late after work.

I used the same tank (~ 15 L) just about 2 months ago for CBS but since then I went to overseas so I gave the CBS to others, cleaned and dried.

On the next day morning before I go to work, they are looking fine. (I added 1-2 frozen bs in the tank). However they are not interested in it..including the atpispa (I donno how to spell).

When I finished work, they dead. Bristle worms came out from the rocks (or you can see them between holes also the water became milky (obvious)

I thought it was LFS problem and then I ordered redline shrimp from other LFS:
LFS water + DT water this time. Took 4 hrs to add the water fully (few drops DT water / sec)
Sponge filter
few live rocks from DT tank.
When I was adding the water the water is already a bit milky (not very obvious but noticeable). Both the water from LFS / DT waters were milky.
I acclimated the shrimp 4-6 hrs by adding the DT water slowly.
Same heater, same tank after washed and dried
No sand.

This time, shrimps are gone on next day (today). I can see some bristle stars at the bottom of the tank which is unusual.

I am thinking if sth wrong with the heater as I got another one, same brand, 1-2 yrs ago for my fresh water (iirc). Fishes gone on next day.

I was suspect ammonia however for the first time (peppermint shrimp) I didnt feed them except 2 brime shrimp... and other than that dont know which or how to cause the ammonia...

any idea? thanks

What are the temperature readings? Posting your water parameters will also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malau

Since I flushed the tank ( dont want to leave it too long)... the temp is set to 28'c. Last night after I flush the tank again and did a test - the heater is not over heated (the theomometer) next to the heater was 26'c and the heater was stopped/off..

I think that may not enough for help.... :/

Reefltx

Since I flushed the tank ( dont want to leave it too long)... the temp is set to 28'c. Last night after I flush the tank again and did a test - the heater is not over heated (the theomometer) next to the heater was 26'c and the heater was stopped/off..

I think that may not enough for help.... :/

I'm assuming, you think the heater over heated and killed your shrimps? Do you know what the temperature was reading at the time? 28c is not that high, a little warm but most invertebrates will do fine at that temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malau

Actually instead of the temp I am thinking if they have some sort of non colored / smell chemical released when the heater is warm/hot.... which kills my shrimps :(

malau

Nah, just fresh water and then dried

Now I am guessing maybe caused by the glue of the sticker of "QC passed"?

knapp870

Do you think its possible the heater has a short and is electrocuting them when it comes on at some point? I had something similar to this happen when a flourescent light got bumped into a tank once. All the inverts were the most susceptible.