HELP! New guy

cheifwalnut

so I put the "help!" Prefix on the title so I could get some replies or advice. I am completely new to the saltwater game of fish keeping. I haven't even mixed saltwater.. Anyhow I plan on turning my 40 breeder into a fowlr(for now) so I understand I will need flow, but unsure how much gph I should have, I've read anywhere from 5x to 20x( hopefully my stocking will determine it, we will get to it later) I know I will need between 40-50 pounds of "live rock" however I plan to buy mostly dry rock, and get a couple peices of live rock because it will be cheaper. I'm unsure as to if I should get live sand or not, but I do know I want something that looks natural, and is beneficial to the system. I plan on running a hob filter, I'm undecided on the emperor biowheel( read the wheel won't work because of salt buildup, and I've read that it could be used to grow stuff on to reduce nitrates.) I've done some research on the livestock and this is what I've come up with ( this can change to accommodate my tank)
2x banggai cardenalfish(start with three when I get the tank cycled and hope for a pair, and return the one that doesn't pair)
1x yellowtail blue damselfish
1x dwarf flame angel(probably get this one last, I've read it can get diseases and it can be a bit pricey.)
1x neon goby(I won't really be upset if you guys disapprove of this one)
2x skunk cleaner shrimp( two because I like these guys and I've read they aren't aggressive towards one another, can settle for just one)
2x turbo snail( two because I read they need calcium? And that it would be wise to give them 20 gallons per snail so they don't starve)
1x amphiprion ocellaris( I'd like to keep the bubble tip anemone with the clown and bump it up to two clowns but I don't think having 2 pairs of fish in a 40b would be a good idea with the 0 experience that I have but we'll see what you guys say)
What I plan on doing is getting the filter, whatever it may be, the salt mix the sand and rock and putting it all in the tank, then letting it run until my levels are good. And then adding the least aggressive fish first, letting t sit for about a week, then add the next least aggressive fish and so on until I have everything in there. I can't say this will stay a fowlr but I can say I have internet in keeping corals, but not until I invest in R/O system

DaveK

I have previously addressed your equipment selection, see this post - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-here.96546/#post-1319191

As for the livestock selection consider the following -

You have way too many fish planned. By the time you add live rock that 40 gal tank is down to about 32 gal of water. You want to allow about 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water. You also need to allow room for growth. You can figure the fish your looking at are going to be a minimum of about 2 inches each. This means you want to restrict the tank to about 4 fish total.

If your going to try and pair fish, you really need to start with about 5 or 6 to make sure you get a pair. This is not practical in your tank. I recommend you get 2 and be content with that, or exchange them one at a time till you get a pair.

Leave the damsel out. They look great, butas they get large, they get nasty, and you'll have a difficult time removing it then.

Flame angles can be great fish, but they will sometimes devour corals and other things you might want. If you get one, have a plan B just in case things don't work out.

Stick to a single cleanse shrimp until you see how it works out. Maybe add a second one later.

You want a lot more snails. They are all part of the clean up crew. They need not all be turbos, get a mix of species. Get about 12 to 15 to start, and get several different species. Yes, they do use calcium to build their shells, but this is not as much as you think and if you keep up water changes, you will not have a problem here.

The clown is a good choice, but make sure it's in good health and feeding well.

Do not even consider an anemone until your tank is stable and well established. This takes about a year. You also need very high quality water and excellent lighting for them.

Lastly consider leaving space for a fish you haven't yet considered. You might find something else you really want

chipmunkofdoom2

Great advice from Dave.

I'd start slow and keep reading. Saltwater aquarium keeping is a lot different from freshwater. I don't think it's more difficult, just a lot different.

Also, if you think you may want corals at some point, plan for them now. It costs more to get a better equipment now, but it costs even more to buy stopgap equipment now and replace it with the right stuff later.

cheifwalnut

Okay I really want one. Would you have any idea what would be good tank mates. Keep in mind I don't plan on having corlas

DaveK

It's hard to make a lot of recommendations because what everyone likes is different. Here are a few of my favorites -
Royal gramma
Spotted hawk
marine beta
clown goby
fire goby
six line wrasse
any of the fairy wrasses

That will give you a place to start

dacianb

2 small sized clowns will pair most probably. Other fishes probably not.
Damselfishes can be extremely aggressive even in bigger tanks and against much larger fishes.
Royal grammas are great colored and can live in small tanks.
Small blennies - are also cute and great for small tanks
Snails, as many you can.
Try a skimmer instead of a hob filter - it is much better.
Anemone - forget about it for first 6-12 months.
Dont need any live rock or live sand. Can start out with everything dried and bottled bacterias as Red Sea programs to fully cycle your tank in 3-4 weeks - this is what I made and was ok.

Flow- fishes like flow, but 20X should be enough (depend by your rockscape) - in the end flow will not allow detritus to build up in your tank. Later, going to sps maybe will need higher flow (I have around 80-90X) and some fishes really love to "surf" in front of those powerful flow heads.
Dont forget lights - a saltwater tank can be quite ugly and dull without decent lights.