New FOWLR tank

Kongor

Hello everyone

I am in the process of planning my first SW tank that will be between 125-200 gallons (depends on how good my bartering skill is at the LFS) and I am looking to join a community and found this site.

I've had plenty of experience with freshwater tanks and decided to take it to another level with SW however, I am pretty knew to the subject and am currently reading The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael Palette and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist to learn the new concepts.

Currently I am planning on adding a volitans lionfish and moray snokeflake eel after the tank is cycled with live rock. Also after a month I plan on adding one or two niger triggers and possibly a freckled hawkfish along with one of the smaller grouper species. From all that I have read so far these fish are compatible tank mates but I also want to see if anyone on these forums ever paired these fish together and what their experience was. Also I will more than appreciate any recommendations of other species that could be compatible with these tankmates.

Also does anyone have a skimmer in mind they can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome! sounds like you will have a nice selection of cool fish in your tank!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sounds like a fish only tank huh. The tank will b aggressive and fun to watch however if u plan on corals think twice about ur fish choice. Also I'd wait longer than a month to add these fish. Welcome to rs. Glad to have u.

I'm Matt n I hate heaters.

Kongor

Sounds like a fish only tank huh. The tank will b aggressive and fun to watch however if u plan on corals think twice about ur fish choice. Also I'd wait longer than a month to add these fish. Welcome to rs. Glad to have u.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

dmatt88, yeah no plans to do coral in this tank at all for now or in the near future, purely a fish only tank. And i wasn't clear about adding fish, i meant to say 1 month apart for each addition.

Is a sump necessary for a tank this size or can i get away with not having one? Its not that i dont want to invest in one, its just that I have no idea how to really set them up so ill need to do some reading up before i attempt to add a sump (im an awful plumber too). The game plan was to have stuff hang off the back of the display tank for now