new engineer goby scratching...why?

nightfire76

hey guys i recently added 2 engineers to my display and now they and my 2 clowns of over 2 years are in there, thing is one of the gobies is scratching on the sand but it isnt constant but it is a few times a day....the other goby doesnt do it as much as he does and i havent seen the clowns do it at all......now im wondering if this is ich.....which i believe so from my expirience, would i be able to use copper in the display with out doing too much harm to the live rock. i have about 90ish lbs of rock and getting them out of the tank would take long as crap.....i have no corals and the inverts i have will be takeen out of the tank.....so what say you guys?

Doogle

Get a small tank and remove the rock if you have to get the fish out. Put fish in the small qt tank and Treat them in the qt. Place live rock back in display tank. There is a sticky about ich if you haven't read it already that tells you how to treat it.

BLADEYAMAHA

Ich? No copper in your live rock, it will kill all invertibrates and bacteria too I believe. At least I think it will kill certain things on your live rock and you will never get all the copper out of your sand and live rock at the very least.

Doogle

You'll never be able to use that rock again with corals/inverts. Sand will have to be thrown away. Rock may be salvageable if doused in muriatic acid and rinsed a bunch of times but that's a big maybe and you'll kill everything in the process.Might as well bite the bullet and get a small qt tank and remove the rock and get it done. Qt all fish for now on and you won't have this headache again, hopefully.

nightfire76

well guys i was hoping there was a way with the LR in there...i suppose the old bottle trap to get the fish out and once all are out to treate them in my QT huh? :(

Willie McDaries

definitely don't use anything like that in your tank with live rock,sounds like it's time to remove the fishys and put 'em in QT and maybe use a UV filter on your DT to kill any free swimming cysts if there are any

and Rob really needs to change his user name,from the title of this thread,I thought he had contracted something bad :D

BLADEYAMAHA

definitely don't use anything like that in your tank with live rock,sounds like it's time to remove the fishys and put 'em in QT and maybe use a UV filter on your DT to kill any free swimming cysts if there are any

and Rob really needs to change his user name,from the title of this thread,I thought he had contracted something bad :D

Hahahahaha!

Doogle

Ya if you can trap em it may be a better solution than busting your back trying to get the rock out. If your not happy with your rocks cape now you have the perfect excuse!:thumbup:

nightfire76

yup...thing is i love how it looks lol....crap a duck i hate haing to move em out......i just recently put them back in after being on an emergency trip

Blue Space

Wait a minute! Flashing or scratching could be from a number of different reasons, not necessarily ich. I would continue to closely monitor the fish but would not suggest a knee-jerk reaction. Are there any little white spots on any of the fish that would indicate ich?

nightfire76

i was kinda thinking like you blue cause im not seeing the clowns reacting at all like that and as far as spotting spots on the gobies...thats hard...they are black but have alot of white on them and they are smaller and fast so hard to tell....im assuming its ich though im holing off on catching them and treating them as such just yet

nightfire76

well i saw one of them scratching just now and looked at him...a white spot close to his dorsal fin close to the back :(

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Keep an eye on him mine flashes often and sand sticks to them like a fly on poop. Before you do anything drastic ensure it is ich. Engineer Gobys are very hardy fish and can act in very strange ways. Mine flashes, swims up and down the glass nonstop and swims backwards. Try and get a picture posted

nightfire76

ive been trying..i think i took 60 pictures so far and nothing lol ill keep trying and the one supposed spot ive seen on him is in the same spot as last time i saw it on him...so not sure what that might mean...moves too fast to see him really