*~*New DOW -- Reef Lighting*~*

ReefLady

Staff member
First off, what are the dimensions of this 125? I suspect you will need more than 2 250 watt MHs to get a good coverage of the tank.

A 'standard' 125g is 6' wide - which means you'd need 3 x MH bulbs.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
How long can corals (soft corals/anemones) go without lighting (only with some indirect sunlight) before getting damaged?

I've heard 3-4, even 5 days with no problems since in nature there are often stormy days.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
humm... to answer my own question, it's been 6 days today and all is well. I've been feeding my anemones daily. The polyp extension isn't as 'full' but everything is doing well. There is bright indirect light coming in from a nearby bay window facing north, so it gets a little daylight.

My lights will be here today... any minute really.

JB NY

Originally posted by Woodstock
How long can corals (soft corals/anemones) go without lighting (only with some indirect sunlight) before getting damaged?

I've heard 3-4, even 5 days with no problems since in nature there are often stormy days.

I don't know exactly, but I would think 3-5 days should not be a big problem.

ReefLady

Staff member
Great thread! Just now diving in as I'm researching lighting for my new 180.

I was thinking about going with 20K XM bulbs and skipping the actinics for now. But after seeing the difference in PAR values, It seems like the 10K XM would be much wiser. My question then... I seem to remember (not positive) Borneman asserting that 10K (and even 6700K) MH bulbs don't need actinic supplementation, we provide it mainly for looks. It was a while ago... how do you all feel about that statement?

I'm asking because I'm very low on funds, I want to get the 180 up and running for my softies and LPS now with 2x250 and then upgrade the lighting (another 1x250 and actinics) down the road several months, after the system is ready to become a full-fledged SPS tank.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
What is the best dual electronic ballast to power 2 x 250 watt MH's? I've heard PFO's tar ballast...are they electronic? :confused:

My light fixture will have a magnetic ballast and I'm worried about too much heat.

Scooterman

Trav get the 10k, you will have what you need, you can always supplement later. You will nee three of them eventually though but for low funds I'd say your doing good, 20k XM's from all that I've actually seen, was very blue looking. I like the DE square pendants, HIQ but they may be a little more costly. Woodstock, tar ballast isn't electronic.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks scooter! Lesson #1 learned. :)

So what type of ballast do you 250 watt MH owners use??

BoomerD

Woodstock, I think there are only a couple of manufacturers of the actual ballast, but many companies like PFO, CoolTouch, etc. that use them in their housings to sell us lighting systems. Many of the manufacturers use the exact same ballast, but in slightly different applications , but for the same basic bulb. I have a CoolTouch Lighting 2x250 ballast/box for my 180, and it's very nicely constructed. Much better than some of the stuff I've seen in the LFS, and comparable to some of the much higher priced set-ups too. they are one of the sponsors here under the name AquariumLight.com. Check em out...

JB NY

Originally posted by Travis
My question then... I seem to remember (not positive) Borneman asserting that 10K (and even 6700K) MH bulbs don't need actinic supplementation, we provide it mainly for looks. It was a while ago... how do you all feel about that statement?

I agree, the coral does not need it. But then again really all SPS corals seem to need is 6500K Iwasaki lamps, and they will grow like mad. IME actinics do help to bring some of the fluorescence out though.

I'm asking because I'm very low on funds, I want to get the 180 up and running for my softies and LPS now with 2x250 and then upgrade the lighting (another 1x250 and actinics) down the road several months, after the system is ready to become a full-fledged SPS tank.

No worries, nothing bad will happen without actinincs. They can certainly wait till later.

TDEVIL

well, right now i have a few acros left and the crocea clam, but i plan on going, SPS, clams, and the few softies i have

sorry Craig, i guess that would have helped ;)

Jay

TDEVIL

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
I believe Robz and Luis get the great results with their SPS tanks with 250 watt 6,500K bulbs and VHO actinics.

i thought that they have 400w raduims, i could be wrong ;)

Jay