New diy media reactor

carlfike

So I got a bug to build something yesterday morning. I decided to throw together a media reactor. I bought everything for under $40 and it took about 2 hours to assemble including drying time.

I got the container at Walmart for $9. Got the assorted plumbing parts at Home depot for around $20. I used waterweld to assemble the pieces. I'm sure silicone would work too but waterweld dries soo much quicker. The media is sitting on a piece of acrylic that I drilled several small holes in and covers with a piece of net from a pool net.

Overall I'm happy with the build but I think I need a bigger pump. 130gph doesn't seem to move the media much.

photo.jpg

[video]http://youtu.be/lv1taxYNBiw[/video]

BLADEYAMAHA

Cool, you've got a lot of air, but could actually give you a better bacteria colony in the carbon later, looks like you need more carbon in there, the flow looks fine, in my opinion too much flow, but it will definitely work-more carbon I think. I was trying to be positive, I really don't know about all that air, might turn into nitrogen air pockets in the carbon later like it does in deep sand beds.

carlfike

Cool, you've got a lot of air, but could actually give you a better bacteria colony in the carbon later, looks like you need more carbon in there, the flow looks fine, in my opinion too much flow, but it will definitely work-more carbon I think. I was trying to be positive, I really don't know about all that air, might turn into nitrogen air pockets in the carbon later like it does in deep sand beds.

Thanks. I adjusted it and there is no longer any air. The tank is only a 34gal Redsea Max so I think any more carbon would be overkill. Am I wrong in thinking you? I have Seachem carbon and seagel in the reactor atm. How long can I use this same material in a reactor? First time using one.

BLADEYAMAHA

Depends on how much bio load you have(how many fish and corals and how good you clean up crew is) the carbon could last 2-3 or just one month, you'll have to watch you water parameters to really know, I know nothing about the seagel except I have seen it breifly on DrsFosterandSmith.com. On carbon I like overkill but if you use just the right amount you'll have to change it every month and your bacteria count will change a little.

carlfike

Is it normal for a tank to cloud up after adding the media reactor?
I rinsed the media but I'm guessing the reactor moves it about more than normal.

BLAKEJOHN

The reactor looks good. Don't worry about air in it. Nitrogen pockets are actually a good thing, not that you will ever seem them, but that would tell you you have a good supply of denitrifiying bacteria. And the bacteria that make nitrogen gas is an anerobic bacteria that lives in very low oxygen water so it would never be in your reactor. The dangerous bacteria to have in a dsb is sulfur fixing.

One tablespoon of high quality carbon will treat 50 gallons for two weeks on average. Using more is really a waste because by the time it all is used, the carbon has started to trap debris reducing flow and adding to the end result of nitrates.

The carbon should not tumble or move around. If it does there is too much flow through it. This will lead to grinding the carbon against itself and becoming dust. This in a severe case can cloud a tank.

Otherwise, no, adding media should not cloud a tank.

What type of cloud is it. Particulate, like a foggy haze, what color is the cloud?

It is possible to be a bacterial bloom.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

carlfike

No I guess I just didn't rinse the carbon well enough. I've got a nice black blanket of dust covering everything. Sucks but I think with a couple small water changes and some 100 micron filter pads I can get it clear again.

BLAKEJOHN

Next time when you fill it up with new carbon run RO or tankwater through it untill it runs out clear and then hook it up to your tank.

Lesson learned huh, lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

BLADEYAMAHA

I would make sure none of the carbon escapes the pads though. The tumbling could make the activated carbon powderize, which I hear isn't a good thing, maybe why the tank is cloudy?

carlfike

I would make sure none of the carbon escapes the pads though. The tumbling could make the activated carbon powderize, which I hear isn't a good thing, maybe why the tank is cloudy?

Na it's clearing up after a water change and changing the filter pads ever couple hours. Hard lesson learned. Such is life I suppose.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
loose carbon in a tank posses no issues (except esthetics) it will become just another bit of dark gravel kinda fugly in white sand but harmless

BLADEYAMAHA

Well I've heard of tangs eating the shards of carbon and the carbon never digests...............................................

steved13

PREMIUM
Loose carbon on the water column is suspected of contributing/causing HLLE

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk