New DIY 2 part Glass Sump

Michael_Lambert

Alright Guys!

So the Sump i made out of an old 36 inch tank did not fit!!! So i had to resort to this..

its a 2 stage Sump.. Basicly i will have a 25G tank and then a 20G tank sitting slightly higher as its shorter.. lol, and the tank will drain into tank 1.. where i will have my skimmer as well.. then the water will drain off into tank 2 where it will be baffeled to prevent the bubbles.. and in tank 2 is where i will house my 2 Return pumps ( Submersied in sump ) and i have a hole drilled for my return pump( Inline )

this was all done by me.. :p: Expect for the tanks as they are just old ones.. lol, I made the Glass Baffels and drilled the holes myself!

So this the tank 2.. bottom tank with the hole drilled and adapters installed for the return pump!

551BottomSump_holedrilled-med.JPG

And here is tank 1.. with the 3 holes drilled.. I only had a 1 inch Drill bit.. they are sooooo expensive.. so i decided to just drill out 3 holes instead of buying a new one .

551Topsump_holesdrilled-med.JPG

And then here it is with the adapters installed.. I will have Elbows on them leading into the bottom tank!

551TopSump_adapters.JPG

These are the adapters that i made.. Just used PVC one female and a Male fitting.. and then took a rubber washer and cut it to size.. total fitting unit was like $2.25
551sumpadapters-med.JPG

551Sumpadapters2-med.JPG

Next im just cutting my Glass Baffels and going to silcone them into the tanks.. and will update them later!

So what do you all think :)

Thanks
Michael.
mlambert@rogers.com

openbrain

Hey Mike,
I would be careful using those male/female adaptors as "bulkhead fittings". There's not much of a flat surface on the fitting for the gasket to seal. If you can't find real bukhead fittings to fit in a 1" hole I would silicon both sides of the gasket material and the outside of the fittings, and I would still keep an eye on those fittings.

openbrain

Cool.

I think that was a pretty cool idea to make two tanks work for you, did you gain any water space by using two tanks?

Michael_Lambert

well the problem is with this tank.. i got it setup so fast.. and did not have cash i was using the 25G tank that came with it as a sump.. So i had an old 36 inch tank ( 40GS) so i put Baffels in it and went to put it under the tank but becouse of the braces on the stand.. i could not make it fit... So it was either stick with the 25G or come up with this.. lol,

So yea.. im getting an extra 20Gs out of it.. But im working right now on trying to work with Acyrlic.. So im going to build to custom size tanks to fit perfectly.. Im thinking that i can get to acrylic 50G tanks.. I have space with the bracing to fit 2 tanks.. 24h 24w 22l and i think they would be around 50Gs each.. So i would do the same idea just with these tanks and get 100G sump going on...