new current usa orbits marine leds

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tomr33, Nov 8, 2013.

1. tomr33

tomr33 Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about the new current usa orbit leds? has anyone seen them yet or bought them? Im thinking about getting these for my 40g tank but just wanted to see what people have to say about them. I like the fact that you can control each color and intensity plus the ramp timer that comes with them. they look very nice to me.

2. jsgarrido

jsgarrido New Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    i was just looking into these lights they look pretty good . but they dont have colors like green , red or violet so dont know if it make a big diffrence. im also shopping for leds so hopefully someone can help on these lights:smirk:

3. reefer gladness

reefer gladness Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I guess it depends on what type of tank you plan to keep, they don't look much better than Christmas lights to me. Low-wattage LED's just don't penetrate the water, you can see it plainly in their own promo photographs. All the major manufacturers are using either 3-watt and 5-watt LED's. Current USA is using .25-watt LED's and they don't even have optics. Note they do not list PAR values - this should be a major red flag for anyone looking to keep LPS or SPS corals.

http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine

4. tomr33

tomr33 Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    after i read into them a little more they only use 1w led diodes and they dont have the power that i was looking for. What about the reef radiance. i know that its in the sponsor section of the forums. anyone use these lights?

5. jsgarrido

jsgarrido New Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
  6. reefer gladness

reefer gladness Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    If you're looking at budget LED's I would definitely recommend Reef Radiance over eBay. Keep in mind budget LED's nearly always have to skimp on the cooling to arrive at that 'budget' price. Let the warranty/replacement terms be your guide. eBay = 30 days while Reef Radiance offers a 1 or 2-year warranty depending on the model.

The adjustability is limited as well, RR only has 2 controllable channels but they have to cut costs somewhere. Each channel requires a separate driver.

7. Willie McDaries

Willie McDaries Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    most of the Reef Radiant lights can have an additional 1 year warranty added for a total of 3 years for a small fee too...Rick has lights to fit any budget as well, and very customer friendly :)