New build ideas

Reddog170

Ok I will be picking up my 75 soon. It come complete. Just as it was when he torn it down and put it in storage. The sump has bio balls in it, they will NOT be used so if anyone wants them :) Also the lighting is PC and I do not think this will be enough light for fish and softies. To throw out a few questions what should I replace the bio balls with, it is an acrylic sump, I have heard people using sponges and/or rubble? This tank is not drilled but for $20 a hole I can get it drilled and that includes bulk heads, so should I go with the overflow or have it drilled? This will be my THIRD tank and I still feel like it is my first. My 55 is doing really well now Little Johns 6 is just flat smokin'. I was worried about putting any thing in my 55 but a friend of mine had a plumbing failure and put a bunch of his corals in my tank for a few days and when he picked them up said that there color was better than they have been in months. But getting back to the 75 the sump with it has a built in skimmer, I am thinking about just using this sump for something else and using my 55g sump for this tank, increased water volume = increased water stability, right? ANY and ALL ideas are welcome. Plans for stocking this are to wait for it to have stable water params for at least three months before adding anything. Thank You, Shaun

ReefLady

Staff member
Also the lighting is PC and I do not think this will be enough light for fish and softies.

Fish don't need light, and most softies will be okay with PC lighting. What are the bulbs?

so should I go with the overflow or have it drilled?

Personally I really dislike overflows, and have always had tanks w/buklheads, but that's personal preference.

55g sump is a good deal. ;-)

I have an empty 75g tank and stand in my basement. You're making me think now......

Reddog170

Thinking is a good thing , ummmm unless your significant other thinks you are over doing your salt stuff. Shaun

Reddog170

It did not test out as having copper in it. It had antibacterial soap in it, from me washing my hands with it before getting into the tank. I will be stocking it but am also getting a 75.

Reddog170

If it had not been for my friend taking marine biology and having access to some awesome test equipment I would never have found out. I guess that the antibacterial comes out of the water naturally but being as I kept washing my hands with it and reaching into my tank every few days I kept the supply going. Wont be making that mistake again. Shaun

luckily you found that.. always be careful about the little things.. one wouldnt think about some of that stuff!! its pretty amazing how finiky this stuff is, even the bigger tanks

Jeremy0322

I dont really understand the whole "getting it drilled or getting an overflow"? Are you talking about an overflow box instead of drilling, because if so drilling is the way to go. Maybe im too tired to be on RS right now...haha

BLAKEJOHN

I would drill it. Glassholes.com has a nice set up. On the Anti bacterial soap thing. Not to insult you in anyway, but didn't you think that you bacterial filter and anti bacterial soap probly shouldn't come in contact with each other? I never "wash" my hands (infear of soap residue) I just rinse them in plain water first. If I need to wash with soap I will not put my hands in the tank till later that day or the next day.

Reddog170

I new this but thought that if I rinsed well I would get all the residue off. Guess not. Lesson learned. Thank You all for your input, I will have the tank drilled. Shaun