New bubble tip

capital1983

Hey all, I just got a new baby neon green and punk bubble tipped anemone that I got from my lfs attached to a turbo snail shell. It has been in my tank for about 2 months now and recently detached itself from the shell and to the bottom rock on the back of my tank. I am getting concerned now because I cannot reach it to feed it silversides anymore and I am afraid it will succumb to starvation. Am I just over reacting? What can I do?
ubavaqap.jpg
yseqy8uv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikecc

can you move the rock?

or maybe put another rock next to it and see what he does. Place it so he is like in a crevice.

capital1983

The rock is all the way on the base. I'd have to rearrange all the aqua scape to do that and I feel it would just move back there again

mikecc

Kind of cut him off from the light and gives him a nice place to mellow and see if he extends out when he is feeling like it.No reaction after a day or two we can try something else, If he survives that long.

capital1983

Well he has been there for a few days now, and it doesn't l look like he gets much light. Not sure why he would like where he is right now anyways.

capital1983

Ok so I put a rock over it with just a little crevice that is giving it some light.. I'll leave it like this for a few days and see what happens
jezu4ehy.jpg

reefer gladness

Don't panic, nems really don't need to be fed often, especially if you have good lighting. My nems are lucky if they get fed once per month.

Chances are the nem isn't done moving around yet. It will find a place where it likes the light and water flow eventually and you should be able to feed it then.

By the way, what's all that stuff on the sandbed? Are you battling nuisance algae? Usually want problems like that resolved before adding a nem.

capital1983

Thanks reefer, I'll see what happens. I have some algae buildup on my glass and rocks but it's under control with my phosphate reactor and cleanup crew

jsgarrido

its normal for the anemone to hide . when i frist got my anemone it hid in the back of a rock for more than a week and then suddenly came out and has stay in his spot for a year and split 3 times already just be patient it will come out soon and find i good location .. oh and i have never feed my anemones my clown fish i think takes care of that and when i didnt have the clown fish they were still not being feed.

capital1983

Thank js. I'll keep an eye on him. My clowns only eat mysis and flakes, so thru dont take anything down to the anemone. Hopefully it moves eventually

jsgarrido

it looks like you have the same anemone that i have its a rose bubble tip with the green base just look at my reef chronicle and can see pics ... what kind of clowns do you have cuz i bought some percula clowns and they never like my anemone but when i bought my maroon he quickly got into the anemone .

capital1983

Hey js, yea you are right. I have 2 clarkii clowns and only one took to the anemone. The other is hosting my Aussie lobo. They are also chasing my anthias so I may look to give them up for mated gold banded maroons which I had in my last setup