new brain not looking good

curly01

I bought a new brain at my lfs(4hours away) yesterday. It doesn't look that good today. It hasn't opened up yet and you can see some of the skeleton on the sides of it. The crabs were picking on it so i moved it up higher and they have stayed away so far. All other coral that I have looks great.

brain.jpgbrain3.jpgbrain1.jpgbrain2.jpg

amc78cj7

What light was it under before and what light is it under now? Maybe you need to dim the lights some to acclimate? I'm assuming of course that you've already checked water chemistry and temp.

mikejrice

I would do like people have said and light it cautiously, but don't get too worried yet. It may take it some time to fully open in your tank.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
shouldn't be on the rocks, they are sand dwellers and the rock will cut their flesh, its bleaching and if you don't get it into shade it will be gone pretty quick.
These are some common reasons for bleaching, I doubt yours was lighting, more likely tank parameters or temp

increased (most commonly), or reduced water temperatures (bag transfer)
increased solar irradiance (photosynthetically active radiation and ultraviolet band light)
changes in water chemistry (in particular acidification) You really need to know your's and the lfs's parameters
increased sedimentation (due to silt runoff)
bacterial infections
changes in salinity
herbicides
low tide and exposure

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Steve ur a smart man. Yes. That pained me to say but damned accurate ya canuck.

,.......don't believe this matt guy

mikejrice

Looks like symphyllia or lobophyllia. Both have extensive skeletal structures which can hold them up off the rock. Did you get a name when you purchased it?

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Looks like symphyllia or lobophyllia. Both have extensive skeletal structures which can hold them up off the rock. Did you get a name when you purchased it?

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers

they have pointy bottoms and are meant for sand beds, yes they are commonly seen perched on rock work, if placed very carefully and not disturbed.. ok, that rarely happens and damage ensues

curly01

I just had it on the rock temporarily. When it was on the sand the crabs were picking at it badly. I am not running the lights near as long now and have tested all water parameters. I also did a 15 gallon water change tonight just in case. There seems to be more flesh coming off. Hopefully it turns around.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
the crabs were just cleaning up the necrotic tissue, can you get a close up pic of it, sometimes you can superglue some of the damage and slow it down

catran

I had mine in the sand and in the corner, to the side of all my rock in low flow. At times, I had practically no flow and did well. If you want to protect it from scavengers, you can cut the top off of a plastic pop bottle and burn holes in the sides with a hot fork for flow. Just unscrew the top to feed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

curly01

Ok the brain is pretty much gone, hardly any tissue on it at all. I noticed that my leather is curled up and my trumpet is not opened up at all. Did the brain pollute the water when it died and do I need to do another water change?
My water parameters right now are:

NO2 .1 ppm
NH3/NH4 .25 ppm
NO3 0

curly01

I have removed the brain. Water params are good and so are all the coral and fish. I have been bleaching the brain and will put it back in after it is cleaned up. Welcome to reefsanctuary oceanreefs

oceanreefs

If you do a water change it can only improve the situation if the brain coral died you have some pollution in your tank a water change would definitely help the situation I suggest 15%