New 55 gal salt tank, Filtration ?'s

I am getting conflicting info from my local fish stores and im wondering what some of you think. One LFS told me i needed to buy a Under Gravel Filter, Fluval 304, and a Power Filter (I'm getting the Emperor 400). I also allready have 2 Aqua Clear 70 power heads, and 1 Aqua Clear 50 power head. If this set up is ok, should i run my power heads in reverse on my undergravel filter or run it normal? This same store also told me that i should run a Satelite Lighting system for my fish only salt tank.

My other LFS told me i should go with out the Under Gravel filter? And not to use the Satelite Lighting System because it would just cause un wanted algea build up?

Just hoping someone can give me a little more help then these guys or atleast give me a better idea which one i should stick with. Thanks for your help.

Craig Manoukian

I agree in general with the advice from the second LFS. What kind of system, reef, fish only, or fish only with live rock do you want to have?

The first LFS seems to be a bit behind the curve on information and technology.

I want to go with Fish and live rock. So you say get rid of the undergravel filter and dont go with the Satelite system? What type of lighting should i be looking to get for fish and live rock.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to SmokeOneLV! :)

With 1 - 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon of water you will have plenty of surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize and will not need the undergravel filter. UGFs trap loads of ditritus and are difficult at best to keep clean (unless you plan to remove everything periodically and clean the plates and underside :rolleyes: ). I would not recommend an UGF.

Filtration:
1 - 1.5 lbs liverock
Atleast 10 x water turnover rate (including all pumps/powerheads)
Good skimmer (Aqua-c, ASM, or Euroreef)
Regular weekly water changes

What type of substrate do you have? If it is crushed coral, be CERTAIN to vacuum it thouroughly with every water change to remove the traped ditritus.

Remember the suggested stocking level of fish is 1" of adult fish per 3-5 gal of water. Have a goal of 10 ppm or less of nitrAtes!

Lighting for a FO system will depend on what YOU prefer. Minimal or maximum lighting will suffice.

Thanks for that info. I still need more advice on this lighting issure. I want to get good growth on my live rock with out causing alot of unwanted algee. I like the concept of the Satelite Lighting System but im told that would cause to much unwanted algee, so im looking for a good setup that will get my live rock looking good!

And i have decided to take out the UGF. Thanks for that advice

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Craig Manoukian said:
Compact flourescents will do the trick, two 96 watters should suffice.

I agree with Craig and Woody....Just remember that PCs have a life of about 6 to 8 months. It is important to change them due to the fact, when they get old the lighting spectrum changes promoting certain algae growth.

Do you find yourself repeating yourself Craig? :rolleyes:

Cheers!
:)

jumpincactus

Agreed with the others. For a FOWLR setup stay away from an undegravel filter. They are by industry standards archaic. Since you are going fish only you can do well with powr compacts or T5's. They will give you plenty of light to promote coralline growth on your LR. A skimmer is a good choice for filtration. I would recomend to stay away from mechanical filtratu\ion such as canister filters unless you are going to be religiuos in cleaning it and servicing it every few weeks. another thing with canister filters especially if you are going to use activated carbon keep in mind cheaper is not always better in selecting AC the reason is some carbon are rinsed in phosphorous to create little pores to aid in filteration, but what it also does is leach phophates back into your system. This is a nutrient known to cause algae problems. When selecting carbon use good name brands.

Craig Manoukian

I use carbon only when needed as it can strip valuable trace elements out of the water column. Have never used Chemi-pure so maybe someone else with experience can chime in.