Neptune (Apex) Issue

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm a little disappointed with my apex....every now and then it just freaks out and does this:

This cause my CA Reactor to stop supplying co2 and it turns my heaters on, not to mention it is extremely frustrating.

I've talked with Apex a few times and they won't do anything short of me sending it in. So now i have to find a way to take my system off of the apex and send it to them for repair somewhere around $100.

Very frustrating considering this is something in the hardware that is malfunctioning - the device is only 2.5 years old. I need to unplug it to reset it.

Just thought I'd vent.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That is unfortunate. It's too bad they won't send you one to use while they repair yours. And $100?? Ouch!

DaveK

Yep, this is one of the downsides of controllers. First off, I'd get the heater off the controller. A failure in the on position will cook your fish.

At 2 1/2 years old, and around a SW tank, there can be some risk of failure. You might check the connections and see if any of them are marginal, especially power connections.

Also, I believe Apex controllers and devices can have their software updated using your computer. Make sure your software is up to date. Check the Apex web site.

This could be occurring because of poor power or power loss. It's summertime and possible electrical storms. You might also consider using the controller on a surge protecting power strip all be itself, or a UPS.

If all else fails, your rather stuck with sending it back to Apex along with the "ransom".

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah it's kinda BS but as you said I don't have an option. The controller is in great shape and well protected and this has been happening for a while. I have the heaters programmed to "allow" for this but it's still frustrating. The guy on the phone didn't care much either which tweaked me a bit but who knows.

DaveK

"... The controller is in great shape and well protected ..." That may be, but it's still around SW, and even electronics that are not near SW still break. Ever have a computer problem where you had to replace a component of one sort or another?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Totally agree, stuff happens but I'd rather it crap the bed and break rather than what it's doing because this seems like a hardware issue and not something breaking.

I guess what gets me is that you sell a controller and you know people's systems rely on them to run but you don't have some sort of a program to respect that. I mean charge me $20 for the loaner while mine is being fixed. It just seems like its my problem which it is but there are a lot of other companies out there that treat these situations differently.

Maybe I should buy a profilux :)

GlassMunky

What is it showing different? I honestly dont even have the display hooked up on my apex, i only use my phone and computer.
Have you tried having Neptune log into your system via your open port on your apex/router and see if theres some kind of software/firmware issue causing the relays to switch on/off at the wrong times? just some thoughts.......
Also maybe see if anyone on their support forum has had a similar issue and gotten it figured out

DaveK

Totally agree, stuff happens but I'd rather it crap the bed and break rather than what it's doing because this seems like a hardware issue and not something breaking.

I guess what gets me is that you sell a controller and you know people's systems rely on them to run but you don't have some sort of a program to respect that. I mean charge me $20 for the loaner while mine is being fixed. It just seems like its my problem which it is but there are a lot of other companies out there that treat these situations differently.

Maybe I should buy a profilux :)

You have a valid point. There is no reason they couldn't do a replacement/swap program, where you call them up, give then the info, and they send you a replacement controller, either new or reconditioned, for a flat fee. It would include overnight shipping. Then if you don't send the old one back in 10 days, they bill you for the new controller.

With electronic equipment today, it's almost impossible to actually repair it. In effect what is done is the insides are swapped out and replaced. So, it should be a big deal to have such a program.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm going to double check the firmware but it is hooked up to the Internet and it was up to date last time it did this.

@monkey - it switches temp and ph readings to what is shown above so anything being controlled by those (reactor, heater etc) reacts accordingly.