Neptune Apex Install On RSM 130D

ReturningReefer

So, i'm thinking of buying a Neptune Apex controller for my RSM 130D. I'm hoping that some others on the site have made this choice and could provide some pictures or a brief write up of how you dealt with the wires, probes, cables and etc. when installing a controller like this into the RSM. Please help. My tank is at my office and i've had it for two months now and i'm constantly thinking about the tank and worrying about it while i'm home on the weekends. Thank you for your feedback and help with this.

DaveK

The installation of a controller isn't that difficult. Just take it one wire at a time, and you'll be fine.

But before you spend the money, consider if it's going to be cost effective for you. The basic Apex system is about $525 and it can go way up from there depending upon what you want to do with it.

Also, consider what your going to do on a weekend if you think something is off? Are you going to drop everything and run into the office to check things out?

I would say that right now your worrying too much. Give yourself a few more months to calm down, and you'll see that leaving the tank alone for a couple of days isn't usually going to be a disaster. Noth that things can't go bad on you, but it's not something you need to worry about all the time.

Fez

I currently researching the Neptune Gold for a system I'm building. My job causes me to go where the wind blows and my wife is up to the task of looking over the tank while I'm gone. It would be nice to pull up on my IPad what is going on with the tank to give my wife some advice. There is always the LFS who has a guy that makes house calls, but my wife and I don't want to rely on someone else. I feel if you can afford it and it make you feel more "at easy", get it. As far as the wiring, wiring is my life. Imagine running wires up a tower and correctly getting everything wired up while people are shooting at you. No holes in me yet. Now, on to my suggestion...You can us small zip- ties to gather the wires, but I prefer using small black tubing called "heat shrink". Don't allow the heat shrink to contact the water since there are chemicals in it designed to help the plastic deal with heat. I slice the heat-shrink down length-wise and use black electrical tape to spiral wrap it into a nice neat package. Make sure to make a drip loop near the plug on the modules since you don't want water possibly getting in and fowling up your electronics.

I'm still building my first tank and I'd be interested in hearing other options.

Fez

-no matter where I go ... there I am-

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
You can get an Apex Jr with the display for about $250. This may be plenty for the 130. It is expandable, if you find enough want more.....

ReturningReefer

Thank you to everyone that responded to this thread. I appreciate the feedback. I've decided to take DaveK's advice and wait. Once i have the skimmer dialed in then i'll see if it is even necessary.