Neptune Apex and RSM

Mdk16

I'm considering purchasing the apex to control my LEDs and to monitor ph, temp and salinity. I'm interested in what other RSM owners are using their controllers for and how you installed them for a clean professional look.

For those with the S series did you gut out the electric draw and switches? Is there away of hooking up the apex power strips to the manual stock switches on the front of the draw so that it can be controlled manually in addition to using your controller?

Are you happy with the addition?

jvelkgrove

That's a sweet install. What specifically are you controlling?

Thanks, I'm controlling the basic's for now, ATO, Temp, Ph, Lights, etc... I plan on going to LESs when I can afford them. I'll more than likely go with the Eco Tech Radion's. They are Apex ready, And with the new "Fusion" for Apex coming soon it will be much easier to set up profiles. I also love the fact that I can control my tank via the Apex when out of town....

Ripperj

I have an Apex on my 130d,it controls two heaters, my chiller, ato and automatic water change. I change out one gallon per day. I also have a cabinet light that goes on when you open the door controlled by the apex. My lights are still on the stock timer.

I'm interested to see what ecotechs reef link will become in the near future, some talk about them having a system like the apex in the works to connect to it!

Mdk16

The Ecotech reef link looks cool but unless it's substantially less expensive the apex appears to offer so much more at this time. I'm sure Eco will continue to add to their controller over the next few years.

If I'm looking to control Steve's LEDs would I have to order the VdM module also?

anyone have experience with the lab grade over the standard?

Choff

No Matt, you can pull the stock power bars of the stock cabinet by simply removing 4 screws from each unit. Then they slide right out. You can then put your apex power bars inside. I used velcro to hold them down, but you could also screw them in if you prefer I would take a picture for you, but if you saw my thread I'm a bit incapacitated.

I started very basic, but have since grown to 4 power bars, 6 probes (2 pH, 2 temp, salinity and ORP). I just got the salinity probe and is not installed yet so no opinion on that, but I highly recommend ORP. I also added a couple of water sensors to.

Feel free to call me if Ya want to chat. I'm couch/bed bound for the next couple of months so I have plenty of time.

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.

Mdk16

I would plan on removing the three stock power strips to make room. Is there room for the main module in the draw also?

I was wondering if anyone wired the neptune power bars to the front stock switches?

I'm not sure how they are wired. I really like having the individual switches accessible. I understand that I would have increased control with the apex from a tablet or phone but it would still be nice to hit a switch on the draw in case of an emergency.

Choff

I like the manual switch as well. I took regular power bars and plugged the 4 power heads into 1 and my 4 Kessils in the other. I then plugged those into my PB 8. It also saves outlets. I have a moonlight module and VDM module velcro to the back of the tank. I have room for them in the box, but the cables that fed them were too short so I had to put them back there.

Looks like I need to do some dusting.

1117132042a_zpsacfcd5b2.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can fit 3 pb8 and the main unit. I have a 15' cable running to my basement where my other 3pb8s are and my main unit.

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.