neon dottyback, flame angel/blue hippo tang

halo2rain

What are yalls POV of neon dottybacks do they constantly pick on other fish and are they mean territorial I have one and its constantly all over the tank but dont ever see it being mean doesnt mean it isnt when im not creeping on my fishes. :)

Also I was wondering if a flame angel and blue hippo tang would be ok together or if they would fight ive read both are peaceful but doesnt mean that they wont fight it out if threatened they. Also they dont look to me like the same body shape but was wondering what yall thought.

DaveK

What size tank are we talking about here?

The flame angel and hippo tang are generally OK togethere, but have a plan B for the flame angel if it doesn't work out. They can sometimes do a lot of damage to corals.

The neon dottyback can sometimes be very aggressive. I'd add it as the last fish

Steve L

Dottyback's are all different. I've had purples that could care less about his tankmates while others I've had terrorized everybody. I've had two yellow dottybacks and both were mean as hell and I had to get rid of them both.

I've had a flame angel in my reef tank for a year and he hasn't hurt a thing, fish or corals.

Never owned a hippo before.

halo2rain

Well the tank is a 75g I have the flame angel want to get a tiny blue hippo I know it will eventually out grow the tank which im planning for now. but the neon dottyback is maybe 2-3in and I came downstairs and the flame angel was torn up most all the fins were chewed up with the tailfin being the worst as almost not there. I caught the dottyback and put her in a net breeder box and watched the flame angel it was sad she was swimming in circles on her side breathing really hard so I am one to let nature take its course as I couldnt do anything for it and trying to catch it would stress it out more. So I left for work came back this afternoon and shes swimming better actually straight and such so im hoping she pulls through since its a very pretty fish and I hate when they die but. The dottyback is in the breeder box awaiting the petstore tomorrow for a new home. Was there anything I could have done for the angel or did I do the right thing and I dont have a hospital tank or qt im gonna be getting one next paycheck hopefully

DaveK

Well, you at least found out that dottybacks can be tank terrors.

I wouldn't recommend one of those tiny blue hippo tangs, even if you had a large tank. These very young fish are delicate, and often arrive with diseases, especially SW ich. Your really much better off choosing a different fish, especially since your tank isn't large enough for a tang in the first place. These young tangs can grow very quickly.

Tangs need a certain amount of "running room" that your only going to get from larger and longer tanks. The size of the fish isn't that much of a factor here.