needa hitchhiker coral ID

Tru2nr

ok this came on my newest set of zoa's and im not sure what it is it almost looks like a xenia but it does have a greenish tint on the inside of the fingers
DSCN1143.jpg

Kirblit

Looks like Star Polyps (Bararium) to me. Does it look like they have a purple mat under them? Nice Zoas by the way

Kirblit

Doesn't look like Xenia, the polyps look green to me. If there is only those two polyps it would be hard to see any mat at all. Well if it is Star Polyps it wont really matter because they will both cover everything in their wake anyhow.

Kirblit

Could also be a start of a Pipe Organ as well, but they don't have very feathery pinnules so it leads me to believe that its Star Polyps. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to chime in.

Tru2nr

im really hoping its not star polyps but if it is atleast the matt that the zoa's are on is rather brittle so i can snap the part of the star polyps off

bigfish

i think it looks more of a xenia then a star polyp. my star polyps look differnt when they are closed much diff then that one! By the way those are so really nice zoas!

Tru2nr

yeah i thought it was a xenia cuz it would open and close randomly but very randomly and a third has already sprouted

Tru2nr

yeah thatsa real nice HH then hehe its got 3 sprouts im wondering if i should try to break off part of the zoa's as to keep the zoa's and the xenia seperate but i think it would be cool to see a base of zoa's under the xenia kinda like grass under the big tree or would the xenia's destroy the zoa's?

Tru2nr

ok now im leaning towards star polyps i don't think xenia's multiply this quick but i could be wrong
DSCN1154.jpg

XBwlr

That looks like xenia to me.
Yes, xenia spread quick.

At the base of the stalk, is there like a tube that the coral can recede into? If there is, then it could be GSP, if not... well, my vote is xenia.

XBwlr

GSP also spread by the use of a "mat"... don't remember the fancy name of it right now... I could look it up if you really want to know.

Here's my GSP's purple mat.
gsp022808.JPG

I'll see if I can get a pic of those little tubes I was talking about.

Tru2nr

man u got some bright green GSP's....seriously lets meet half way between kingston and newark ohio and u hook me up with some frags lol