Need to replace Rio 3100 return pump and skimmer/pump

I have a 75 gallon DT and makeshift sump (rubbermaid tub) with kent float valves in it for ATO system. I bought the entire setup a few years back and never replaced the Rio pumps that came with it. Now that they are finally crapping out, I want to replace them with something halfway decent.

I'm no pump calc expert. The DT is about 4-5 feet directly above the sump. Right now, the pump is returning H2O through flex tubing extending out of the sump running straight up behind the DT. The tank itself is drilled with (I believe) a single 1" bulkhead and internal overflow box. I need a few suggestions...

1. Return pump for DT. I've heard several people mention Mag and Eheim.

2. New skimmer that isn't going to break the bank. I'll probably ask for one for Christmas or at least some money for one. Right now, I have a Sealife Systems in-sump model that's not doing much. The water depth in the sump is around 4" - 6". I can measure it exactly if needed.

3. Pump for skimmer that won't over- or under-power it.

Alien2100

Do you know what your Rio's were putting out in gph? That would be a good starting point, if you thought it was too little, go up in gph.
Also I could be wrong but I believe a 1" bulkhead is recommended for 600 gph, but I run a bit more through mine, it's just has more water noise. Remember pumps lose gph with every foot in height they move water, so look at that when your looking over your choices. Both Mag Drive and Eheim are good pumps. Personally I use a Mag Drive 9.5 which is rated at 950gph however I'm sure it's doing about 725 to 750 gph with my plumbing set up.
Just about every skimmer is going to come with it's own pump, so no worries there. I'm sure you'll hear about quite a few good choices, I just recently upgraded to a SWC and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm not sure exactly what the Rio is currently doing flow-wise. It's the only pump I've ever used though, so I can't really say if it's too much or too little. Looking at a chart online, it supposedly pumps 500 gph at 6' which i guess probably isn't enough for my size tank. I am also running a Hydor 3 and 4 in either corner of the tank.

Alien2100

Yeah sorry I didn't catch that it was the Rio 3100, duh, right in the tittle, lol.

Yes, that pumps is said to do 500 gph at 6' which a little more might be nice. For Mag Drive your right in between the model 7 which would be around 400 gph at 6' or the 9.5 which is around 725gph at 6'. And IMO there pumps can be under rated for output. Either way the model 7 would be a down grade and the 9.5 is definitely an upgrade. I don't have a lot of personal experience with Eheim pumps. However I've always heard good things about them.
One side note, from what I've learned by talking to tank manufactures in the past, is that a rating of 600gph for a 1" bulkhead is it's quiet point. And while the bulkhead can handle a little more water flow, the water noise level will increase. I've seen this to be true myself, so be aware you may gain a little more water noise when you upgrade your pump.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Mags are good Fair priced pumps, there is a etss down draft skimmer in the dry good section for $200 that's a bargain IMO.