Need to find an Invert expert!!

dragonladylea

I'm trying to find out what kind of pistol shrimp I have. The pattern is similar to the Red snapping pistol (Alpheus Armatus) but mine has two snapping claws (which he can snap simultaneously). All of the other pistols I have seen all have one snapping claw and one elongated claw. Does anyone have any ideas?? or know who to ask?
pistol4.jpg

Pistol1.jpg

dragonladylea

Here's a full shot - At this point I'm not sure of anything. The closest I've come is the Red snapping pistol someone else told me one claw would grow but after hours online last night if mine is a red snapping he's already full grown and I've had him for almost a year and neither claw has changed, and in all of the pics online one claw was definately a different shape (elongated) no matter what size the pistol was.
pistol1.jpg

reefjitsu

Just throwing this out there but, it could be a freak, with a mutation or other condition that caused it to grow that way.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Dragon

Yes I would agree that it is a red snapping (Alpheus armatus). Its body structure pretty much points to that. Just because it does not have an extended claw, does not mean it is not a snapping srimp. You can find many images in books where they are not. This shrimp almost always does, so I think "reefjitsu" has come to the right conclusion ;) Also, this shrimp is noted for its red and white stripped antennae, which kinda' gives it away :D

This shrimp, is often associated with the anemone Bartholomea annulata, alk "Curlycue anemone"

Curly-Cue_Anemone.jpg

Alpheus armatus.
DS13.jpg

dragonladylea

Thanks Guys!
I know he snaps like crazy with both and he shot me the other day while I was doing some aquascaping (hurt like the dickens!!). I have quite the characters in my tank. Between "Dillinger" (the pistol) and "Edward Scissorhands" (the Arrow decorator) its never dull.