Need suggestions and advice on camera choices

dgasmd

OK, I have been seriously considering getting a new digital camera. The 2 cameras I have been trying to decide and pretty comparable in price. They are the Canon D10 and the Nikon D100. The problem for me personally is that when I go to the usual sites to compare and read reviews, they all use a lingo I can't understand. Most of the terms used I am not familiar with what they are, so the entire comparision and review becomes another language altogether.

Maybe if I tell you guys what I want to use it for you can tell me which is best and why in a 4 year old language so I get it. What I want to use it for is for toaking pictures of family, tank and the frequent trips I make (vacation). I want to be able to print out a 11x14 or maybe bigger at perfect quality. I want to be able to take great macro shots on my tank's inhabitants. I also want something I can't outgrow over the next few years. I do not want something that requires a lot of different gadgets and attachments to be able to take a decent picture. I am not planning on spending $1500-6000+ for a lens or some bazooka looking special lens.

I briefly considered the Nikon 5700 instead, but it looks like it is pretty limited on what macro lenses and such one can use on it. Am I wrong on this? Would this be a better choice?

Please give me some suggestions as to which and why.:D

sharks

Contributing Member
Good luck I know how confusing camera shopping is.
I'm sure the more knowledgeable photographers will jump in soon.

Not sure about the lens issue since I haven't needed one yet.
But I love my 5700
S

^EDIT^
Whatever one you decide on shop around.
www.butterflyphoto.com blew away most people on the 5700

dgasmd

Thanks for the link. Do they ahve lensesyou can use for magnification while in the macro mode for the 5700? I ahve a +10 and a +7 for my Nikon 995 and they are awesome.

ReefLady

Staff member
I want to be able to take great macro shots on my tank's inhabitants.

If you want macro, you want Nikon.

I'm a little lost as to why you would want magnifying lenses for macro mode, though? The 995 has an out-of-the-box macro focus down to 2cm -- I can't imagine needing to get much closer than that.

I'm sure I'm missing something. :)

dgasmd

Teri:

Yes, I know. However, when you put the +10 and/or +7 macro lenses on it you give a whole new meaning to the words macro shots. I will find my lenses and post a comparision picture so you see what I am talking about.. First I need to find them and with packing for moving now it is going to be a hard one.

The truth is that with larger tank one looses the avility to do macros on anything but the stuff that is 6" or closer to the glass. I know that first hand from having a larger tank myself. So, in other words, I don't really think I will ever get the most of the macro capacity.

ReefLady

Staff member
First I need to find them and with packing for moving now it is going to be a hard one.

Ack! I'll take your word for it, don't sweat it! :)

with larger tank one looses the avility to do macros on anything but the stuff that is 6" or closer to the glass.

That makes a lot of sense. Never thought of it that way.

Thanks!!!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I personally do not think you need more than a good prosumer type camera for what you want. You have stated you do not want alot of attatchments and gadgets, yet you want a dslr, which requires you to use different lenses for different situations.

You can find the close up diopters in just about any size thread you want, and if there is an adapter tube, or the lens is threaded, it will accept them. Which to get...is a different story, for a different thread.

I'm really pleased with the Fuji s7000, suits all your needs with a few accessories, but requires a little post processing. The new Oly 8mp cam might be just the ticket for you, but if all you want is 11X14, then the 5mp Nikon should do the trick.

If you really want a dslr, you might also look at the Nikon D70, from what I've read, it is supposed to be comparable to the 10D and is a bit cheaper. With whichever dslr, I would expect to spend 2-4 times as much for lenses (or more) for the cam to cover all your needs, you can probably get cheaper, but why buy bargain basement lenses for a $1000-$1500 camera body?

Last edited:

dgasmd

Kevin:

Points well taken and I must say I almost agree 100% on the why get a DSLR issue.

I am a big time Nikon fan, but I am willing to keep an open mind for something new.

I was doing a little more research and reading a little more reviews and comparisions andit seems either the Nikon 5700 or the 8700 would do the trick more than just fine.

You can find the close up diopters in just about any size thread you want, and if there is an adapter tube, or the lens is threaded, it will accept them. Which to get...is a different story, for a different thread.

See, you learn something new everyday. I was not aware this was the case. Would you care to expand a bit more into which and so on? I would appreciate it.

Teri:

Here is an example of what I was talking about. This first picture is with the normal Nikon 995 macro. All pictures were tken at the same distance from the object and under the same lighting conditions under the auto mode to make it simple.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Would you care to expand a bit more into which and so on? I would appreciate it.

Well there are cheap ones and there are expensive ones and you get what you pay for. The cheap ones (I have a set of cheap hoyas) will give passable results, but are subject to some image quality issues and chromatic abberation. The dual element diopters like the canons are far superior and also far more expensive. Most everything I've read has said you can't go wrong with the canon diopters.