Need some advice :)

Chandria

Hello everyone,

I have finally decided to get a salt water tank and need some help. :)

I have had freshwater aquariums growing-up and I really enjoyed it. I always wanted to start a salt water tank, but somehow the timing was never right and I moved around a lot. I have been reading books on the topic and came up with the following set-up.

Please note that the space I have available can only accommodate a 46 gallon tank, I do realize that it will require more maintenance, but 55 gallon is just too big for that spot, so I will have to make do with that. I really am determined and don't want to wait any longer. :)

So here it is:

46 gallon Bow front glass tank (matching wood stand and hood)
Eheim Powerline 2252 Interior Filter ( I really need advice on this, I am trying to have the tank flushed with the wall, so and interior filter would be my best option, but not sure if it will handle the tank. Also, I would like to get a filter that is quite. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.)
Hydor Ario (blue) Air Pump
Jager 200W 15" Heater (I do live on SW Florida, will I really need a heater?)

Well, this is all I have for now. I was reading up on Protein Skimmers, but not sure if that is necessary for me to get right now...or I can just get that down the road. I was looking at the AquaC Remore w/Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump.)

I am also thinking about using the following for decoration:

Crushed white coral sand
Reef builder rock
Artificial corals (I have no choice on this as 46 gallon will not support a reef tank, that is going to have to wait. :)

Also for the first few weeks I was thinking of putting some Demsils in there.

I think that is it. Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

To be continued...

Chandria :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Chandria welcome to RS :)

Is it possible to have this tank reefready ? That way you can put all your filtration in the sump.

Eheim Powerline 2252 Interior Filter ( I really need advice on this, I am trying to have the tank flushed with the wall, so and interior filter would be my best option, but not sure if it will handle the tank. Also, I would like to get a filter that is quite. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.)

These filters are fine if it's going to be a Fish Only tank but they have to be cleaned often because it traps detritus leftover food etc. which will decay and be a source of nitrates, a Skimmer would be a much better option since it removes it removes organic pollutants before they break down thereby keeping your nitrates lower. An Aqua C remora is an excellent choice.

Good flow is very important in a SW tank powerheads instead of air pumps are much better choice.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Jager is a good choice and I would recommend a heater since there can be temp fluctuations which isn't a good thing for your fishes immune system.

Crushed white coral sand

I prefer aragonite sand but crushed coral will be fine. My suggestion would be to just put a fine layer and syphon weekly to remove any detritus buildup.

Artificial corals

I would also suggest you use Live Rock instead not only does it provide natural cover and food for your fish but it's an excellent biological filter.

Damsels are very aggressive and would possibly kill new additions especially if their small passive fish. Also using fish to cycle a tank is cruel and unnecessary in my opinion. Using uncured live rock or simply adding a raw shrimp can easily start the cycle or even adding some fish food would do the trick.

Chandria

Robert,

Thank you so much for a thourough explanation. :) This is a great forum and there is so much to learn it is overwhelming. I have been reading for hours.

Ok, so no on the damsels (this was actually recommended to me at the local FS)

I have also realized that I can do a live reef with a 46 gallon tank. (I was also told it was not possible with a 46 gallon, as that would be too small for a reef)

By reef ready you mean having the plumbing (not sure if that is what it's called)? The tank I was looking at did not have that. :( The smallest tank I could find reef ready was a 55 gallon and unfortunately it does not fit the space I have. So, with that being said...what would you recommend for filtration for a 46 gallon bow tank? I am now thinking no on the Eheim internal (after reading several posts), but will live rock, and the Aqua C Remora skimmer would be enough?

Also, what would you recommend for powerheads?

I would like to know why you prefer the aragonite over the crushed coral?
Also, how much live rock would you recommend for this size tank?

As far as lighting...any recommendations there? Obviously I haven't considered lighting as much since I was under the impression that I won't be able to have a reef tank just yet, but now I am set on reef. :) I know lighting is very important...also, will I need a chiller? I am not sure on that...

Am I missing anything else for the basic set-up? I wanted to educate myself before going out and starting to buy my system, I do apreciate all the advice.

Sorry for asking too many questions and thanks again for the help. :)

Chandria

Chandria

Oh and one other thing, I have been reading that some of the skimmers can be pretty loud...I would really like to have a quiet set-up. :)

Thanks again

octavian

cheeks69 said:
These filters are fine if it's going to be a Fish Only tank but they have to be cleaned often because it traps detritus leftover food etc. which will decay and be a source of nitrates

I have a sponge over my intake now.

I got sick of cleaning all the crud out of the canister and disturbing the bacteria. (very time consuming)

Still, I also use a RedSea Prizim skimmer.

It works OK, but I have to dink around with it way too much, and had to modify it to stop the micro-bubbles.

In retrospect, I would have spent less money buying a CPR Bak-Pak 2. It has a chamber for bio media, so it not only does the job of a skimmer, but also that of a canister filter.

$128 at marine depot.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1111

octavian

Chandria said:
Hello everyone,

I have finally decided to get a salt water tank and need some help. :)

I have had freshwater aquariums growing-up and I really enjoyed it. I always wanted to start a salt water tank, but somehow the timing was never right and I moved around a lot. I have been reading books on the topic and came up with the following set-up.

Please note that the space I have available can only accommodate a 46 gallon tank, I do realize that it will require more maintenance, but 55 gallon is just too big for that spot, so I will have to make do with that. I really am determined and don't want to wait any longer. :)

So here it is:

Well, this is all I have for now. I was reading up on Protein Skimmers, but not sure if that is necessary for me to get right now...or I can just get that down the road. I was looking at the AquaC Remore w/Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump.)

I am also thinking about using the following for decoration:

Crushed white coral sand
Reef builder rock
Artificial corals (I have no choice on this as 46 gallon will not support a reef tank, that is going to have to wait. :)

I think that is it. Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

To be continued...

Chandria :)

Welcome, Chandria.

Please read my prior posts.

My set up started out almost identical to what you're looking at.

1. Get ready to spend money. You will get hooked and this addicion is expensive. Being informed will save you hundreds of dollars and weeks of time.

2. Forget about damsels. They will make you very angry and when you need them removed it will be a tear-down nightmare.

3. I had the same idea about the fake plastic reef building kits when I started. They suck compared to the real thing. They look cheezy, have limited configurations, and when you buy the whole set you will have spend a great deal of money. In a month, all the plastic "corals" will be covered in brown algae, and you will be tearing down the whole thing (disrupting nitrifying bacteria and upsetting your fish)

4. Don't place your tank flush against the wall. You will need access to the back and will never get the tank to set right again if you have to move it.

5.. ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Be patient.

6. Get multiple opinions.

7. Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read

8. If you haven't already, don't buy the Ehim. Buy a hang on the back CPR Bak-Pak 2 Protein Skimmer.

9. DON"T USE WATER FROM THE TAP if you live in a municipality. (Explore this website to find out why, and what the solution is.)

10. Most important, get ready to have fun.

:thumbup:

Chandria

octavian said:

Thanks for all the valuable tips. :) Do you think this filter/skimmer combo is enough to handle this size of a tank or should I still get the Aqua C Remora and no filter?

Yes, I have been reading for hours and I am amazed...sometimes completely lost, but I guess it comes with the territory. :)

No, I have not bough anything yet. I really wanted to research and understand what type of equipment to get and why, before I would commit myself to buy it. It is a big investment and I wanted to go about it the right way, I am sure it will save me from some headache in the long run.

Most importantly, I am very excited to start my tank and I am ready for everything that comes with it...I know it is a lot of work, but it's worth it!

Thanks again for the tips, I have learned so much in two days...at this rate if I hang around this board...in a year I will be an expert. lol

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Chandria :)

If you have room for an Aquac, get it! I have one on my 90 gal (mag 3 pump)and it works great.

Way to research PRIOR to purchases!! (i am still learning that skill) :D

Chandria

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, one can never do enough research. :) This board has been very helpful! Btw., I just looked at the full size pic of your tank, it is beautiful. Did you use live sand or crushed coral? I couldn't tell on that shot. Also, how much live rock should I start with?

Thanks

Chandria

I still would like some advice on lighting...I haven't considered it much, but now that we are talking reef I know it is very important. It is amazing how much things can change from one day to the next. lol

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thank you :) I used 80% sugar fine aragonite sand and 20% live sand that you can get bagged at the LFS.

You should have 1 - 1.5 lbs of rock per gal of water. I have about 1lb/gal. Remember that the rock displaces water so you total water volume will drop... good to know when you are dosing stuff.

As far as lighting.. a very rough estimate is 4-6 watts of light per gallon. There are other factors involved when choosing lights... depth of tank and the requirements of the corals you plan to keep. How deep is your tank?

Chandria

Woodstock said:
Thank you :) I used 80% sugar fine aragonite sand and 20% live sand that you can get bagged at the LFS.

How many lbs of sand did you use?

Woodstock said:
As far as lighting.. a very rough estimate is 4-6 watts of light per gallon. There are other factors involved when choosing lights... depth of tank and the requirements of the corals you plan to keep. How deep is your tank?

The tank dimensions for the standard 46 gallon bow: 36" x 16.25" x 20"
Also, what type of light should I get, since I have to consider heat as a factor. I cannot get anything that would heat up my tank too much.

Thanks again

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Also, what would you recommend for powerheads?

maxijets very reliable and inexpensive especially on-line.

I would like to know why you prefer the aragonite over the crushed coral?

Fina aragonite provides a large surface area for bacteria and if deep enough will provide zones for anaerobic bacteria which will convert nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas.

Chandria IMO get the aqua c remora for just a few dollars more you won't regret it.

Dragon Wrasse

Welcome to RS!! Wow, you just got a ton of great info from some of the best on the site....ditto from me on all the recommendations they made. You should be off to a great start, don't forget to post a few pics when you start getting your feet wet...lol....

Chandria

Thanks again, yes I am off to a good start here. I am finalizing my list right now and ordering all the equipment this coming up week. :)

I am having trouble finding a black canopy for a 46 gallon bow. I have searched and keep finding a regular hood sitting on top of the glass. :( Any suggestions without having to do a custom design?

Here is the link to the stand I am thinking of:

http://store.elegantabode.com/46gabowfr.html

Thanks

Chandria

cheeks69 said:
Chandria I would check if Oceanic or AGA sells a canopy for the 46.

For the last hour I have been checking out sites and still nothing. It's like they left out the 46 gallon bow front from the canopy club. :cry1:

Any suggestions?