Need lots of help with Sump!

JonnyF

Ok, so I was thinking of getting a sump on my 37 Gallon SW reef tank. My tank is not drilled so I would need an overflow box. Basically I have no idea how to set it up, and I have no idea what Parts I would need to get water in the sump and then back into the tank.

What I need of you all:

I just need a list of ALL the items I would need to get a sump including plumbing and pumps and tank for sump and what not.

I just need a complete list of equipment since I have no idea what to get at this point, or what has worked best for you all :).

I appreciate it so much and thank you very much for your time!

Also, what should I keep in the sump? Would the sump need a light?

JonnyF

Thank you very much that helps a whole lot!

I'll get back to you when I have more questions..trying to thoroughly read it!

JonnyF

Ok, so I'm still sort of confused.

Here's the details I can give, and maybe you all can directly help me.

I am looking to buy a sump pre-made. I will also need to buy the plumbing and pumps and an overflow since my tank isn't drilled.

So basically what I'm asking is, what type of pump and tubing should I use like what plumbing/pump would work with the CPR Aquatics CS90 Overflow? I'm looking to get everything at one time and in one go. So please please help this noob :)! Thanks so much! Sorry - I just happened to be really confused with this.

Also - I'm looking to buy everything online tonight. Please get back to me with a full list when possible! Thank you VERY much! Once again sorry for being such a noob :)!

DaveK

At this point, I recommend that you do not purchase anything.

From your posts, it seems that you understanding of sumps and overflows is, at best, marginal. There are a lot of considerations to correctly building such a project, and the worst thing you can do is to rush into a purchase.

For example, I consider all CPR Overflows to be out and out junk. This comes from personal experience with one of them, and some of their other products.

It is not possible to give an exact parts list because each sump setup is going to be slightly different, and there are several possible sump designs to choose from.

I recommend you spend about 2 - 3 months educating yourself, and then when you know what you actually need, then purchase.

As always, purchase top quality equipment. You'll only need to buy it once.

tnwillia

+1 with DaveK, do your homework first, don't rush into this, it will save you in many ways.

If you have the money to spend (these are not cheap) look at "Lifereef" Jeff hand builds everything to order and his overflows are the best. If nothing else this is great reference area for super builds. Good luck.

Lifereef Filter Systems - Trickle Filter - Berlin System - Venturi Skimmer - Protein Skimmer - Acrylic Aquariums - Trickle Filter - Berlin System - Venturi Skimmer - Protein Skimmer - Acrylic Aquariums - Trickle Filter - Berlin System - Venturi Skimm

DaveK

If you have the money to spend (these are not cheap) look at "Lifereef" Jeff hand builds everything to order and his overflows are the best. ...

Yes, I should have included a reference to Livereef for overflows. They are the only external overflow I'd recommend. (Lifereef calls them pre-filter boxes). Yes they do cost twice as much as the mass market ones, but they are worth it.