Need ideas for small fresh water tank

reefer gladness

A co-worker of mine is interested in a small freshwater tank. As low-maintenance as possible and with some hardy fish that won't croak in the first week and provide some entertainment value to small children.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I've never had a freshwater tank and jumped straight into saltwater so I'm not much help but everyone in the office thinks of me as the 'fish guy'. :rolleyes:

reefer gladness

Thanks Fishdad!

I'm leaning towards recommending just a male betta for now. Our prospective new aquarium owner is really looking for something small and most freshwater fish are recommended for at least a 10g tank.

I was also thinking a planted tank with a school of tetras but again it seems to be more work than they want.

reefle

beta forsure...but for small children I think their interest will be gone by one week haha

jmmg33

A resun mini garden aquarium with a few small fishes should be ok for children. I bought one to my sister with a freshwater shrimp and she loves it.

frisbee

Before you start to delve into live plants, a 10 gallon freshwater tank with some rocks and some plastic plants can look quite beautiful. Maybe some Fancy guppies? Not only are these hardy, but they come in a variety of colors, and can breed quite readily under the right conditions. GL.

gbose

ReeferG:

If your friend just wants to provide amusement for small kids, I suggest a tank with a plastic mechanical fish. I saw something on another forum (or was it this one), that seemed ideal. As Reefle says, the kids will soon lose interest. If s/he is interested in fish-keeping, I suggest a 5G with a Betta; maybe a couple of snails and/or shrimp.

GBose

frisbee

If your not fighting a Betta, they just slump to the bottom and come up for air. No life whatsoever... Put some sort of lively fish in the tank. (tetras, characins, guppies, etc.) GL.

reefer gladness

A resun mini garden aquarium with a few small fishes should be ok for children. I bought one to my sister with a freshwater shrimp and she loves it.

Thanks jmmg33 and welcome to RS! That's a nice little aquarium. Not seeing it from normal US vendors but will check around online.

ReeferG:

If your friend just wants to provide amusement for small kids, I suggest a tank with a plastic mechanical fish. I saw something on another forum (or was it this one), that seemed ideal. As Reefle says, the kids will soon lose interest. If s/he is interested in fish-keeping, I suggest a 5G with a Betta; maybe a couple of snails and/or shrimp.

GBose

Mechanical fish would be great if it was the kids bedroom but knowing my friend and that it's going in her kitchen that won't work. She started off looking at fish bowls and doesn't want something as large as a 10g so I'm trying to steer her towards one of the <5g picotopes with a light and filter. The betta sounds like a good starting point for them. Freshwater shrimp would be awesome but I'm not sure the dedication is there to provide the right environment. Thanks all for the great suggestions.

reefer gladness

If your not fighting a Betta, they just slump to the bottom and come up for air. No life whatsoever... Put some sort of lively fish in the tank. (tetras, characins, guppies, etc.) GL.

Thanks frisbee, that good to know. They do look lifeless in the LFS but I always figured it was because they were in a 8 ounce drinking cup. What kind of small fish would do well with fake plants and ornaments?

Fishdad1

It is because of those cups. I have kept bettas in many tanks and they are really active when properly housed. Contrary to common notions they take advantage of swimming space, establish territories and investigate their surroundings. They are actually really good community fish. I have found them to behave similarly too Peacock Cichlids - flowing fins, overall peaceful but defensive of their territory. Plus they are smart and interact with you which is a huge plus with kids. Guppies, mollies and the rest of the live-baring fish tend to be on the "not much there" personality side... better as fish food IMHO.

Just to illustrate how misunderstood they are I have housed a few males together in the same tank which is a big no no.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I actually have a betta at work! He moves around quite a bit. But I would also recommend guppies.