need help

i want to add a fuge to the bottom of my active 28nano without drilling
i dont have experience with these things, im in the works on getting the 10 gallon fuge built but how to tie both togeather im stuck, if anyone has experience plz explain how it works and how big of power heads to get i have one its
1000L/H is that good or waht? videos would really be better ty:closed:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well your basically looking at a sump type situation. You'll need an overflow to get the water to the fuge then a pump back up. It's pretty straight forward. If I were you I'd look at putting a fuge above the tank and pump to it letting gravity bring it back down. How much space do you have? Pics?

Well your basically looking at a sump type situation. You'll need an overflow to get the water to the fuge then a pump back up. It's pretty straight forward. If I were you I'd look at putting a fuge above the tank and pump to it letting gravity bring it back down. How much space do you have? Pics?

what do u mean space under the aquarium?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you're putting a refugium under your aquarium, you might consider a sump with a refugium in it......but that depends on how much space you have.....or how big of a tank can you fit.

i have the basic set up jbj nano 28 with the stand i think ill be able to fit a 10 gallon it wont fit parallel but long ways i think it would work,my concern is how to get the water flow from tank to fuge? and i have a 1000L/H power head is enough?

reefer gladness

If you're going to do this in an undrilled tank you need an overflow box that hangs over the back from BC's fuge section. I've done this project before on the RSM 130D and in my honest opinion the benefits are not worth the cost.

If you're determined here's a link to Lifereef who makes the best prefilter overflow boxes that won't flood your floor in the event of a power outage, there are cheaper versions from other manufacturers but this is the one I recommend: prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

This gets the water from your tank down to your sump. You have your return pump either in the sump or plumbed external (your choice) and then from there you need to get the water back up and over the back of your tank. The RSM tank has an accessory kit for this purpose but if your tank does not you'll need to fashion something out of PVC parts or buy a kit something like this: Lifegard Aquatics CustomFlow Plumbing Kit

Google 'aquarium pump head loss calculator' for a simple app that will help you figure out the correct size pump, not sure if you're putting a chiller inline, what type of plumbing you're using, etc.

Honestly, my advice is save your money for a drilled tank. Be patient and search craigslist. Use your biocube for a quarantine tank.

If you're going to do this in an undrilled tank you need an overflow box that hangs over the back from BC's fuge section. I've done this project before on the RSM 130D and in my honest opinion the benefits are not worth the cost.

If you're determined here's a link to Lifereef who makes the best prefilter overflow boxes that won't flood your floor in the event of a power outage, there are cheaper versions from other manufacturers but this is the one I recommend: prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

This gets the water from your tank down to your sump. You have your return pump either in the sump or plumbed external (your choice) and then from there you need to get the water back up and over the back of your tank. The RSM tank has an accessory kit for this purpose but if your tank does not you'll need to fashion something out of PVC parts or buy a kit something like this: Lifegard Aquatics CustomFlow Plumbing Kit

Google 'aquarium pump head loss calculator' for a simple app that will help you figure out the correct size pump, not sure if you're putting a chiller inline, what type of plumbing you're using, etc.

Honestly, my advice is save your money for a drilled tank. Be patient and search craigslist. Use your biocube for a quarantine tank.

hey thanks will check it out

DaveK

i want to add a fuge to the bottom of my active 28nano without drilling
i dont have experience with these things, im in the works on getting the 10 gallon fuge built but how to tie both togeather im stuck, if anyone has experience plz explain how it works and how big of power heads to get i have one its
1000L/H is that good or waht? videos would really be better ty:closed:

Here is the thing. A 10 gal tank, used as a sump will only add about 6 gal of water to the system. In order to get it to work you are also going to need some sort of overflow and a return pump.

On a small tank, all this additional equipment really is not justified from a cost effective standpoint. In other words, you'll end up spanding a lot of maney to get only a marginal improvement in the system.

I recommend that you save your money here, and put it toward that special livestock or larger tank you always wanted.