Need Help With Tds And RO/DI!

Reefin

Ok here it goes i hooked my Ro/di unit long story short I also got a dual inline tds meter which is stated is factory calibrated the meter is reading 25ppm coming out of the unit after DI !!! and i know thats after all those other filters and the RO filter it supposed to be 20ppm then after the DI filter 0ppm did I do something wrong I figured maybe the meter needed to be re calibrated so i went to this hydroponics store and all he had was a 1500ppm tds solution the and the manual states they calibrate to 342ppm the guy at the store gave me a small sample of the 1500ppm solution i tested the meter w/1500ppm sol. and my meter was really close so i didn't mess with it the pinch is i need ro/di water really soon here and cant be lifting jugs from LFS would this 25ppm water my unit is producing now be ok for the my reef tank while i try to figure out how to get my water to 0ppm on monday?

chipmunkofdoom2

I think that's too much. I'll use mine up to 3ppm, but no more.

The first few batches of water I made with mine were high TDS... did you already sort of "break it in"?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Is it a new RO/DI unit? If so, you need to 'flush' the first 25 gallons or so and then begin testing it
If it is a used unit, then you need new filters.

Reefin

it's a brand new unit i kinda messed up when i ordered it it came with extras filters to as well but i guess my unit came with a Di resin that only gets 2-8ppm and then i saw on the directions i was supposed to sperately flush the RO membrane because of a solution in it i DIDN't do this because i don't follow directions lol so i though maybe by not doing this i might of ruined the DI resin so i just replaced the resin with extra they gave me but still getting around 25ppm IDK what's going on??????

Reefin

Oh and I've let the system just run for some time know also to flush all of it out thanks for all the help everyone!

Reefin

Okay so I can't find a readable tds calibration solution to adjust my meter I just have to trust the fact that it's new a factory calibrated with that being said I tested my friends Ro/di water where i had been getting my water and it was 60ppm =( I know I know thats bad so I drove to closest LFS and bought some RO/DI water took home tested and theres was 40ppm ughhh by know I'm starting to get frustrated so finally I test the water in my ATO resevior and it was 260+ppm!!! omg I know and my new unit that I've installed is only putting out 25-28ppm I'm thinking because I accidently didn't order the 0ppm RO/DI resin wHich I'm going to order first thing tomorrow morning but for know I'm forced to use my RO/DI water which is at 25-28ppm but it's better than any other source i have and I'm basing on the fact my meter factory calibration is correct what should I do !!!!!!!!!!!